Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about upgrading from my EN500 to something a bit better fitted for my 6'5 frame. Some minor research has me considering the Kawi Vulcan 900 Custom, as it seems to have good legroom. Has anyone owned one of these? Pros? Cons? I am wondering a bit about that tall skinny front wheel? Opinions?
Posted this question on another forum, but didnt get much response except for one poster (thanks SS!).

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Been thinking about upgrading from my EN500 to something a bit better fitted for my 6'5 frame. Some minor research has me considering the Kawi Vulcan 900 Custom, as it seems to have good legroom. Has anyone owned one of these? Pros? Cons? I am wondering a bit about that tall skinny front wheel? Opinions?
Posted this question on another forum, but didnt get much response except for one poster (thanks SS!).
I have a '14 Custom (5' 11") fits me just fine, after riding mine my son(6' 3") wanted his own so I got him a new '12 son is happy.......... cost difference is big, new '12, 5yr warranty, saddlemen quick release saddlebags, Memphis Shades Drop Top quick release windshield, Kawasaki driving lights, under $8k

Kawasaki makes a different bracket for footpegs which extends the reach I believe 3 inches......too far for me, I have no idea how much it cost.

If you measure from the ground to the center of the wheel, the tall skinny wheel is only about 3/4in more than the 16in......overall height being about 1.5in more. even though it is a 21 inch wheel. The difference is the height of the sidewall, the 16in tire is taller from the edge of the wheel.

The Custom is excellent handling thru the curves.

Comparing to the 883(I had one, it was trade-in for the Custom), it is a little faster and supposedly higher top end.....I don't know because I haven't had either to top end. You don't get the feeling of sitting on power like you do the 883, and you don't get the fuel economy of the 883.

Curve capabilities I would say are the same as the 883(but I don't know for sure I haven't pushed either to their limit), I think the Custom is easier to handle, others might say the 883 is easier to handle, each his own.

The only other bike comparable(that I can think of) would be the Yamaha Bolt, with 950cc and lighter, I think shorter too, it would probably win in a drag or thru curves. Buuuuuut, it doesn't have forward controls, Yamaha makes some that move the pegs forward 2.5in........low and mean makes forward controls that move them 9in for.....use to be priced at $500 but now it says call for pricing.

The Custom fits me for going out and hitting the curves, which is what I do most.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The only other bike comparable(that I can think of) would be the Yamaha Bolt, with 950cc and lighter, I think shorter too, it would probably win in a drag or thru curves. Buuuuuut, it doesn't have forward controls, Yamaha makes some that move the pegs forward 2.5in........low and mean makes forward controls that move them 9in for.....use to be priced at $500 but now it says call for pricing.
The Bolt is a great bike. As long as you plan on never leaving the city limits, the tiny tank won't let you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts