Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I currently have a Virago 1100, and i'm looking for something bigger, I Found a deal on a 1500 Vulcan, but also on a 1100 vstar, both bikes look like a good upgrade, however i can't justify the vulcan being so big, so, my question is, what's the use on a huge ass engine with not that much HP?

Don't get me wrong, I love cruiser, I'm just New, thank you!

·
Shadow Moderator
1,613 Posts
Torque. Judging from the published specs for the two bikes, I'd say the 1500 Vulcan will give you a bigger kick in the butt when you twist the throttle. Comparing the ratio of max torque to bike weight, the Vulcan has 21% more.

This is all just figures on paper. See if you can arrange for a ride on them to compare.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,360 Posts
Maybe the better question for you is this: what do you hope to accomplish with "bigger"? low RPM torque and feel is something a lot of people like...but is it right for everything and every situation? No. What is your 1100 not doing for you?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe the better question for you is this: what do you hope to accomplish with "bigger"? low RPM torque and feel is something a lot of people like...but is it right for everything and every situation? No. What is your 1100 not doing for you?

I want something that goes faster, something with better torque, I want to feel like I'm on an Harley with my student budget

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Torque. Judging from the published specs for the two bikes, I'd say the 1500 Vulcan will give you a bigger kick in the butt when you twist the throttle. Comparing the ratio of max torque to bike weight, the Vulcan has 21% more.

This is all just figures on paper. See if you can arrange for a ride on them to compare.
Okok, thank you!

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,360 Posts
I want something that goes faster, something with better torque, I want to feel like I'm on an Harley with my student budget
Then the bigger motor is what you're after. You can pick up Harleys pretty inexpensively in the Sportster, Softail, and Dyna line-ups. Even older touring bikes can be had a very reasonably. You don't need to feel like you're on a Harley, You can actually have one. Often they're in really in good shape for six grand or less.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I've had Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, and Harley........I never bought one wishing it was something else.

If you ever get on a Harley you will discover other bikes don't feel like a Harley.......not even Kawasaki 2000

And loud doesn't mean it sounds like a Harley

·
Ace Tuner
2,933 Posts
You didn't say what year model the bikes are.
I'm not a fan of the 1500 Vulcan's, mechanically speaking.
I believe the V-Star 1100 to be the better choice of the two. ..Just one guys opinion...

S F

·
8,592 Posts
The 1500 Vulcan's have a single Crankpin and with a nice set of Vance & Hines Longshots, sound 99% like a big twin Harley. They are also stone cold reliable and although not FAST, neither is the 1100 Yammie nor stock big twin Harley's either. They also have Hydraulic lifters, which is a gift from GOD. :geek: I've had 2 1500's in my past.

Sam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts