Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up this Honda Shadow 750 '83. I feel I ended up paying to much for it and getting duped!! I road it home however it leaks an amazing amount of oil, over heats until she won't run and after topping off the oil and choking my way home the clutch became soft until it wasn't there at all. It feels like I have the clutch back now so maybe it was and over heating issue.

My first step today is to see if I can get to the thermostat and see what condition it's in.

I've ordered the manual and have a PDF copy for now. I know I'll have to replace the head gaskets but would love to figure out what's going on with Mammacita first. She seems temperamental at best!

Any advice would be great and I'd love to take out as many parts as I can. I've heard I can remove all of the air box parts and just use a screen over the carb. Anyone know a good book or something else that will teach me about stripping or chopping bikes to their bare bones?

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thermostat is clean and functional. Carbs are clean and look good. There is one jet that I'm unsure about, it doesn't have a screw head and is either clogged or dysfunctional. I checked the clutch presser and fluid. There's fluid but the clutch isn't working.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Transmission shares the same oil as the engine correct? Change your oil make sure you use oil rated for motorcycles. Additives in automobile oil can cause clutches in motorcycles to slip

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I filled up the oil on my trek home with it at a gas station that didn't have much for oils. I picked what I thought to be the best; 20w-30. After I filled it up I glanced at the bottle's words: Not recommended for wet clutch. If I change the oil, do you think I'll get the clutch back or have I messed it up permanently?

·
14,359 Posts
Well you are running a wet clutch. I would change it right away and hope for the best

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. Getting a bum deal on a vehicle is such a hassle. I wish you the best and hope the problems are quickly resolved, without too much additional expense.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks rje58.

I did more work on it today. The rad fan works, the rad seems fine and holds light pressure. The clutch slave was filled with a thick buttery pastry. I'm not sure if that's normal. The motor is on a jack and ready to come out.

·
14,359 Posts
Buttery paste? Nope, brake fluid yes
Radiator empty

So let's see, bike was over heating, clutch wasn't working properly.....

I would continue to go through the bike, but you may have found your problems. It sounds like the previous owner didn't take great care of the bike. Clean the slave cylinder and put fresh fluid in it and the brakes do the same,

Not sure I would pull the engine at this point. I would fix what you found so far. See if it will hold water after you flush it all out.

Let us know what you find

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great advice Critter. I have already pulled he engine. What I've found so far that I could use knowledge on is, how do I know if the telltale weep hole on the water pump is leaking without having the system under pressure? The engine has to be out to remove the water pump, so it'd be nice to figure that one out. Also, one of the water pipes running into the engine is loose. Is that a problem and is it an easy fix if it needs to be fixed?

·
14,359 Posts
Someone else is going to help you with that one. I would think that all water pipes should be tight.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
I don't think you want the weep hole actually weeping do you? Isn't that the first sign the water pump is starting to fail? Seems like that's what I remember with cars but it has been YEARS since I actually had one fail in a car. Just seems like that's what I remember. So if there's signs it's been weeping I'd change it out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not sure if the telltale hole is weeping. It would have to be under pressure, as far as I know. It's the gap between two seals, one that protects the gears and the other rad fluid.

I felt that in order to clean out the clutch slave I had to take the crank case cover off. It was glued in with one of those 'make your own gaskets'. Messy!

I'm doing a compression test. Is it accurate by wrench turning the gears?

·
14,359 Posts
You will need to have the throttle wide open to get an accurate reading

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The engine is on my bench with nothing hooked up so I guess that's as open as a throttle can be. haha!

Any experience with spark plug sleeves? I can't seem to get at two of the plugs. Any easy way to remove them or just find a 2" nut and wrench! It's number 5 on the schematic. I can't post links yet so If you need to look, I'll just separate the www in the link.

w.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/506c6b32f870023420a39d90/cylinder-front-cylinder-head

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I would advise against taking off the air box and putting screens over the carbs. Honda spends some engineering time and skills setting up the air to fuel ratio of the carbies and if you change the airbox the bike may never run right.

Those little "cute" air filters the cafe' racer boys rave about often hurt rather than help performance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Slumlord. I'll be keeping the stock system.

I have it all together and have done some tests. I see the cooling system is leaking from most hose connections. I fixed any leaking from major areas.

I can't get her running. The manual says that the compression should be 171 +-28psi. I'm not totally sure how to read that. I think it means 28psi but I thought that maybe it meant that, for ever 171cc there should be 28psi. Any way. From left and right compression is 40 and rear left is 90 and rear right is 15psi. There doesn't seem to be any major leaks if any from the cylinder or head.

Anyone have anything to say? My buddy says it might not be timed right. I don't know anything about timing but am not sure if I can time it without it running.

·
14,359 Posts
First you have to take compression reading with the throttle wide open.

171 psi in each cylinder plus or minus 28 psi is what that means so a range of 143 to 199. There is probably a range difference for cylinder next to each other.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts