Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. newbie on forum. Just got my US license. Shopping for a bike. Previously, owned a 1974 Royal Enfield Bullet (350cc) while I was living in India.

I am looking for something that has cruiser/classic look, in the 250-500cc (ish) range, and has a throaty sound.

Mostly for shortish distances, but occasionally want to go for long back road rides. So, something that does not feel manic or stressed at 70 mph or so. Also, needs to fit a lady on the back :)

Would love to get another Enfield (but 500cc this time), but few dealers here. So far, the Yamaha V Star 250, Suzuki Boulevard S40, Kawasaki Vulcan 500, and the Honda Shadow 600 seem to be the bikes that best fit the bill.

Any advice from out there? Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
check out Jay Leno's Garage. He just did a video on the new Royal Enfield. They are still in production and cost around 5 to 6 grand depending on model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Royal Enfield and Triumph Bonneville

Funny you should mention that; just back from a dealership where the salesman mentioned Leno had just bought one.

Sat on a Bonneville while there. Exact same riding position as an Enfield. Bigger and more powerful, but also more $$$. However, might be hooked!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hi. newbie on forum. Just got my US license. Shopping for a bike. Previously, owned a 1974 Royal Enfield Bullet (350cc) while I was living in India.

I am looking for something that has cruiser/classic look, in the 250-500cc (ish) range, and has a throaty sound.

Mostly for shortish distances, but occasionally want to go for long back road rides. So, something that does not feel manic or stressed at 70 mph or so. Also, needs to fit a lady on the back :)

Would love to get another Enfield (but 500cc this time), but few dealers here. So far, the Yamaha V Star 250, Suzuki Boulevard S40, Kawasaki Vulcan 500, and the Honda Shadow 600 seem to be the bikes that best fit the bill.

For throaty sound in the 250 range the only one that comes close (at least stock) is the Yamaha Virago/V-Star 250. Went and test road one yesterday and they do sound pretty good. If you are looking for something that isn't stressed at 70MPH then you are probably going to want either the Vulcan 500 or the Shadow 600. The Suzuki Savage/Boulevard S40 could probably handle 70MPH, but is geared more for midrange power and it's just me but not having a trip odometer and neutral indicator light are big strikes against it. Out of the bunch personally I would go with the Vulcan 500 as it will be by far the most powerful of the bikes. Even though it sounds strange, the Vulcan is a sleeper as far as cruisers are concerned. It is packing the same engine and tranny as the 500 Ninja so even though it is only a 500cc it is capable of giving 650 and 750cc cruisers a run for their money (I also like the idea of having a 6 speed tranny which will serve you well at higher speeds) Couple that with an insurance company that only looks at engine size (ie State Farm) and it is a good deal all around. Sometimes they can prove to be elusive to find though. ;)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The 2010 and up Royal Enfield UCE can do 70mph. It has all the modern technology now. Anything prior to that (iron barrel and AVL) will fall short of that goal. Also, they will require more hands on time.
I have an AVL, and it is my favorite bike- but I do have others for longer trips.
There is a new model coming out that is suposed to be a "basic" model that will be relatively inexpensive (around $5K?) that would be worth checking into, IMO.

Sounds like a used Bonneville may be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
For throaty sound in the 250 range the only one that comes close (at least stock) is the Yamaha Virago/V-Star 250. Went and test road one yesterday and they do sound pretty good. If you are looking for something that isn't stressed at 70MPH then you are probably going to want either the Vulcan 500 or the Shadow 600. The Suzuki Savage/Boulevard S40 could probably handle 70MPH, but is geared more for midrange power and it's just me but not having a trip odometer and neutral indicator light are big strikes against it. Out of the bunch personally I would go with the Vulcan 500 as it will be by far the most powerful of the bikes. Even though it sounds strange, the Vulcan is a sleeper as far as cruisers are concerned. It is packing the same engine and tranny as the 500 Ninja so even though it is only a 500cc it is capable of giving 650 and 750cc cruisers a run for their money (I also like the idea of having a 6 speed tranny which will serve you well at higher speeds) Couple that with an insurance company that only looks at engine size (ie State Farm) and it is a good deal all around. Sometimes they can prove to be elusive to find though. ;)
As an insurance agent I can tell you this is not true for most insurance companies. Most of them classify bikes by type; motor size, and actuarial data. My 2009 Ultra Classic with a 1584 cc motor is far less expensive to insure than a 600 cc crotch rocket based mostly on the actuarial claims data. A cruiser will in most instances be less expensive to insure than a sport bike or what today is called a "standard". Just liability however is about the same on anything; its the full coverage that really shows the difference.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hence the reason to really shop around before doing insurance. State Farm looks strictly at engine size, I even tested out liability. Cost for a 250 Ninja with bare minimum insurance (and I compared the coverage rates). Price to insure a 2007 250 Ninja with bare minimum insurance with Progressive, $173 a year. Price to insure a 2006 Ninja 250 with the bare minimum (higher $ amounts for coverage) with State Farm is $74 a year. Yeah, I know they are a year off, but one year difference on the exact same bike doesn't make that kind of difference. I also checked the quote on an '07 Yamaha Virago. Progressive bare minimum $120 a year. State Farm bare minimum $76 a year. I would call those pretty significant if you look at it by percentage. As I stated I did liability only just for comparison purposes and as mentioned the difference is still huge.

·
Registered
4 Posts

my wife got a c50 last year loves it looks good gets comments all the time only 20 pounds heaver than the c40 she is 5 foot 10 126 lbs it is a nice bike its also her first bike we just rode from wichita ks to brandson mo around 700 miles

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Hence the reason to really shop around before doing insurance. State Farm looks strictly at engine size, I even tested out liability. Cost for a 250 Ninja with bare minimum insurance (and I compared the coverage rates). Price to insure a 2007 250 Ninja with bare minimum insurance with Progressive, $173 a year. Price to insure a 2006 Ninja 250 with the bare minimum (higher $ amounts for coverage) with State Farm is $74 a year. Yeah, I know they are a year off, but one year difference on the exact same bike doesn't make that kind of difference. I also checked the quote on an '07 Yamaha Virago. Progressive bare minimum $120 a year. State Farm bare minimum $76 a year. I would call those pretty significant if you look at it by percentage. As I stated I did liability only just for comparison purposes and as mentioned the difference is still huge.
I was just commenting on the fact that insurance companies don't only look at cc's; even though it seems like that in your example. State Farm in your area is just a great deal but behind the scenes there is more to it than just displacement. I totally agree you need to shop around; everyone is rated a bit differently and it changes a lot from state to state... even zip code to zip code in the same area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts