Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a question if anyone can help me out, I have a 2002 vstar 650 and it died out the other night while riding. I just had the carb cleaned and re jetted. So I?m thinking it?s an electrical issue because the turnsignal indicator gets really bright at high rpm but the actual turn signal bulb dims. Then it?s just sputters out. It starts fine and idols fine. It was running fine before we had a rain storm idk if that would have done anything to an open air filter

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
It sounds like maybe a loose battery cable or similar, but it's always best to start any electrical diagnosis by making sure your battery is charged, able to pass a load test, and that you have a good charging system.

·
Banned
107 Posts
Could be the regulator starting to go out. They cause all kinds of whammies when they start acting up.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

·
Ace Tuner
2,176 Posts
So I have a question if anyone can help me out, I have a 2002 vstar 650 and it died out the other night while riding. I just had the carb cleaned and re jetted. So I?m thinking it?s an electrical issue because the turnsignal indicator gets really bright at high rpm but the actual turn signal bulb dims. Then it?s just sputters out. It starts fine and idols fine. It was running fine before we had a rain storm idk if that would have done anything to an open air filter
Like Eye said, it's a good idea to verify the charging system first.
The reg/rec, The wires going to it, The plug and The wires leading away from it would be a good place to look for water accumulated causing what biker dad calls "all kinds of whammies".
That unit is located front, low and right in line with water coming off the front tire..... :surprise:
A main wire harness acting up can also cause all kinds of whammies. Age and water is hard on a 15 yr old harness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts