Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 vl800, it starts and idles, speeds up with the choke pulled, but if I twist the throttle any at all the bike dies, anyone experience this or know what is wrong ?

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
I assume you mean it does this after it has had a chance to warm up, say about 2-3 minutes after starting? Is it fully stock, or have there been mods to the engine, like air filter, exhaust?
What you describe is a blocked, or partially blocked, main jet circuit. This includes the air jet that feeds the main jet. Or, you could have bad spark plugs or cables to them - how do the plugs look?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I was riding down the road and all of a sudden it died, had to use the choke to ride it home, but if it’s a clogged jet wouldn’t that effect the choke also ? It is using the same carb after-all

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh and the carb was rebuilt about 7months ago, it was running fine a week ago too

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
No, it won't affect the choke, because it isn't really a choke. It is an 'enrichment' valve, which draws fuel/air mix from the pilot (idle) circuit, and bypasses the throttle. If it happened that abruptly, clearly something got sucked in. Check the air cleaner first, to see if it is coming apart. If it is failing, use a bright light and look into the small holes around the intake throat of the carb. If you spot something, you may be able to clear it with a vacuum source through a small tube.
If the filter is OK, you may have to drop the float bowl, and look for something stuck in the main jet. You may need to find a service manual to see how to take it apart enough to clear it. I don't have a manual for that model, and the carb is different from the ones on the VS800 and VS 1400. If you find black grit in the bottom of the bowl, it is probably the fuel line breaking up in the inside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts