Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Charter Member Black Bayou Basturds
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having some problems with my 2012 Harley Limited now..yesterday on a ride both the engine and battery light came on ...battery light first..
noticed my voltage gauge at 10 volts....puled over and at idle I gave it some throttle and both warning lights go off......first time this has happened to me while at on the road.....

I'm wondering if I have a loose battery connection????

or is this a preemptive sign that my voltage regulator may be going out..

Any help is well appreciated in advance..

I've noticed this before during normal operation it dipping below 12 volts when my heated grips are on ....... but as soon as I turn the heated grips off it normally returns to above 13 volts. Is this normal? I've never had this problem(s) before now.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Ideally, the battery shouldn't drop below voltage while the engine is running. Check the connections at the battery and make sure you have the proper voltage at the battery at idle and about 3000 RPM.

You can check the alternator output with AC voltage. The voltage should increase with engine RPM. I'm not sure what the rated stator voltage is for that model, but it should be in the electrical troubleshooting supplement.

In the Harley section, I wrote down the whole procedure I checked to determine the fault in a Sportster charging system.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
I wonder if it threw any error codes. But I do question the volts you get normally while riding. My volt meter(when I had the Harley) stayed over 14 volts. Real close to 15. Makes me wonder if your stator is functioning properly.

·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if it threw any error codes. But I do question the volts you get normally while riding. My volt meter(when I had the Harley) stayed over 14 volts. Real close to 15. Makes me wonder if your stator is functioning properly.

My volt meter gauge gives me 14.2 volts every time I crank her up....but over the course of a winter ride where I am using my heated grips the gauge will show right at 12 volts...
I also use an external GPS through the cigarette lighter socket and I added a auxiliary brake light/ running light / turn signal conversion kit probably causing the gauge to dip to 12 volts during all those operations.
Checked with the local Harley shop mechanics and he agreed with that assessment...
BTW... I forgot to mention that the battery is new, installed a month ago.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
At 12.2 volts your battery is almost half discharged. You'll want a fully charged battery before you do too much of anything else.

If it was my bike I would hook the battery up to a charger. Then, if it comes up to 12.7, I'd do a load test of the battery first, then check the charging system.

The link that Dodsfall posted gives a pretty well written description of the steps he took to find a charging system problem.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
If that battery is normally parked without a battery tender connected it's on it's last leg. 3 years is all I've ever got on a battery not on one. On the other hand, my 07 had the original battery when I traded it. I'm a cheap SOB though. I had changed that battery a year before but left it on a tender. I swapped it back when I traded for the Indian. Now the newer battery is opening my front gate and the last time I talked to the dealer, that old battery just got replaced. They can't keep every trade-in on tenders so they threw a cheap battery in it. It lasted a month not on one though after being that old. Tenders are worth every penny. I have a garage full of them and each and everyone has save me at least one battery. Some multiples.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,354 Posts
How is that battery working on the gate, I knew you had reservations about using it.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Well it opens and closes slower but it's doing it. Cloudy days even slower it seems but so far no one has got locked in.

·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've always used battery tenders on all my bikes....there is no substitute for a tender....most of my batteries have lasted at least 4 to 5 years...
Wife's Sporty...her OEM battery lasted 6 years and never failed to crank that 1200..
battery on my last ride...2008 Harley EG Classic went 50 months before it finally failed..in my driveway

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,354 Posts
Glad it is working for you Hog

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I have to agree with Eye. At 12.2 a battery is not properly charged. At room temperature a fully charged 12 volt battery with no load on it should be close to 13.2 volts although most automotive people consider 12.6 volts good enough for a full charge.
Any charging system that is not putting out over 14 volts stands no chance of fully charging a battery. On my Vic it reads about 14.6 but my last 2 HDs also showed over 14 volts at anything over idle speed.

·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to agree with Eye. At 12.2 a battery is not properly charged. At room temperature a fully charged 12 volt battery with no load on it should be close to 13.2 volts although most automotive people consider 12.6 volts good enough for a full charge.
Any charging system that is not putting out over 14 volts stands no chance of fully charging a battery. On my Vic it reads about 14.6 but my last 2 HDs also showed over 14 volts at anything over idle speed.

Do you remember what your Harley's gauge read at idle?

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
It's best to read DC voltage directly off the battery with a meter. It should be above 13.00 VDC at idle for your bike. 13.5 to 14.5, roughly is about average. You can also check AC voltage directly from the pins in the socket coming directly from the stator. They should be reading about 16-20 VAC for each 1,000 of engine RPM.

Don't rely on the gauge mounted in the fairing to check your readings because it can have a short or too much resistance in the wiring leading to it, and it isn't all that accurate to begin with. It's basically a glorified dummy light.

·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's best to read DC voltage directly off the battery with a meter. It should be above 13.00 VDC at idle for your bike. 13.5 to 14.5, roughly is about average. You can also check AC voltage directly from the pins in the socket coming directly from the stator. They should be reading about 16-20 VAC for each 1,000 of engine RPM.

Don't rely on the gauge mounted in the fairing to check your readings because it can have a short or too much resistance in the wiring leading to it, and it isn't all that accurate to begin with. It's basically a glorified dummy light.

So basically you're saying is as long as my bike starts up right quick like I might not even have a problem at all...with the glorified dummy light..

I checked my battery yesterday afternoon at idle speed and my meter read 13.9 volts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts