1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A future of one EX

The crate

The virgin
One of the last, if not the last EX500 engines made. By some strange sequence of events I stumbled upon this, and was not going to let it get away. Bought it last year, 9 years after the last production.

Engine serial number EX500AE350444
Not that it would make any difference whether this is the last engine, or the 10th to the last engine. But if anyone knows of a way I can determine what the last serial number would be, I would love that information. :grin:

Got it hoisted out of the crate.

Running some rods through the motor mounts, figuring how to mount it on a display stand.

My stand ends up looking like this.

More pics

The following are snake cam pics​

The piston tops, snaking down the spark plug holes.

Tried to get a shot of the valves from the combustion chamber, but my little mirror needed to get the proper angle wouldn't fit in the spark plug hole.

Snaking through the exhaust ports shows the exhaust valves.

Snaking through the intake ports shows the intake valves.

The clutch snaking in the oil filler cap.

The timing chain, snaking down the goody box.

Taking the valve cover off shows all the red markings made during the manufacturing. I'm not really sure what the reason for them are, but I can still see remnants of them on my installed engine.

I have also put the display on wheels, so I can easily move it from one display area to another. :grin:

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
669 Posts
Are you making a display out of it or do you have plans to put it into something and run it?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,120 Posts
So where is the Virgin in the crate?????:smile_big::smile_big::smile_big::smile_big:

Fantastic pics my Friend!:wink2:

Sam:nerd:

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you making a display out of it or do you have plans to put it into something and run it?
It will go on an EX eventually. Before that I have to run the life out of the one on my bike. :wink2: Not sure how long that will take. :surprise:

So where is the Virgin in the crate?????:smile_big::smile_big::smile_big::smile_big:

Fantastic pics my Friend!:wink2:

Just for clarification. The engine is the Virgin. 0 miles, never even been installed on a bike. Completely new, albeit 10 years old. :grin:

·
Visionary
5,245 Posts
Your having way too much fun with that borescope.
We use them at work for diagnostics and PM checks on some critical equipment, it's fun seeing the inside of things , isn't it? :)

Reactions: Porky

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Well I'm surprised to see the cam lobes not shiny or at least I thought they are lobes that should have been honed. That's all I've ever seen. Nice shiny lobes. Is that not so in a new raw engine? Or is this not a cam lope?

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your having way too much fun with that borescope.
We use them at work for diagnostics and PM checks on some critical equipment, it's fun seeing the inside of things , isn't it? :)
Yeah, I definitely have too much fun some times. I have fun calling that a snake cam. :grin:

Well I'm surprised to see the cam lobes not shiny or at least I thought they are lobes that should have been honed. That's all I've ever seen. Nice shiny lobes. Is that not so in a new raw engine? Or is this not a cam lope?

Those are in fact cam lobes. ?
I think more than likely there is a testing process at the plant that involves cranking the engine over by hand to make sure nothing funky is going on.
I'll see if I can find a video showing the Kawasaki engine manufacturing process. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ I found this video. Not as good as a video as I hoped for. It does say that all Kawasaki engines are actually fired up as a test before even being installed.
On a side note: I didn't even know that there were Kawasaki plants in the states. :surprise:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,120 Posts
They have been made in Lincoln, Nebraska for a very long time:)

·
On The Road Again!
4,184 Posts
Sitting in my shed, I have a 1975 Kawi KZ-400 that was made in Nebraska.
Like Sam said, they've been made there for a loooong time.

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think they like to keep their favorite bikes closer to home. Since every OEM part I ever got was made in Japan. :grin: Except for a couple that was made in China. :sad:

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I'm surprised to see the cam lobes not shiny or at least I thought they are lobes that should have been honed. That's all I've ever seen. Nice shiny lobes. Is that not so in a new raw engine?
I think I was focused on something you weren't referring to in my first response to this. So I will try again :grin:.

The lobes not being shiny would be indicative of a virgin engine. Those, along with some other parts will get nice and polished during the break-in period. Then I will be changing my oil in short order. :wink2:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,120 Posts
And look how easy it will be to do the valve adjustments---gotta love 'screw and locknut!':smile_big:

That engine would be fantastic in the KLR650 frame! Kawasaki actually had the engine in a Dualsport that looked like the KLR, many years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_KLE500

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The valve adjustment it's self is pretty easy, straight forward. But a little time consuming removing everything that has to come off just to remove the valve cover. I usually turn it into a week long project, but that's just me :grin:. Real, fast time can probably be done in 3-4 hours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts