Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was going to take out the ol' Deloris Boneshaker (1985 yamaha virago 1000) , and I put the key in, tried to start it up and it started up but kept cranking over. So I took out the key, and hit the killswitch, and it was still cranking and cranking and cranking as if i was holding the start button and the key was in. I eventually shut it off by ripping out one of the battery wires cause I thought it was going to blow up or something. I'm assuming it's a wiring or ground issue, but what are your guys thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,505 Posts
I'd start with the starter relay - the relay that has the heavy cable from the battery, and another to the starter motor. It sounds like it welded itself on; easily checked with an Ohm meter across the big terminals. If it is not shorted, there is a short somewhere in the control wires, which could be just about anywhere in the harness.

·
Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to update everyone - I was redoing the wiring coming off the battery cables and decided to replace my ground wire that was relatively chewed up and thin with a new 10 ga wire. While I was removing the ground wire I had to take off my rectifier, I do have a new one sitting around so I got around to replacing that. When I was trying to remove the rectifier that's on the bike, one of the connectors seemed to have melted to one of the connectors coming from the main wiring harness. I'm not too mechanically inclined but I figure this was a decent probably cause for what was wrong. I'm going to get to ordering a new harness and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
5,505 Posts
You are probably right - burned wires make for unusual problems. Good luck with the new harness.

·
Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to get some opinions, instead of ordering another wiring harness (given it will be used cause it's an 85), would it be more efficient to just replace the messed up wire / connector? Or too risky?

·
Premium Member
5,505 Posts
Have you ever rebuilt a harness before? Do you have access to the right tools, and an assortment of wire colors (or some way to mark the wires with the color codes)? How do you plan to connect the new wires to the required connectors?

In my day I built many harnesses, and failing to find a replacement, would dive in, but if this is your first, the learning curve can be a challenge. At my age, I'd really rather buy one, though.

·
Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you ever rebuilt a harness before? Do you have access to the right tools, and an assortment of wire colors (or some way to mark the wires with the color codes)? How do you plan to connect the new wires to the required connectors?

In my day I built many harnesses, and failing to find a replacement, would dive in, but if this is your first, the learning curve can be a challenge. At my age, I'd really rather buy one, though.
Nope never a vehicle harness, i've done a good bit of soldering though. I do have a lot of color coded heat shrink. I have no clue how id actually connect the wires to the connector because I doubt it's anything i'm familiar with, but i'll take another look today and see if I'll feel comfortable with it.

·
Premium Member
5,505 Posts
If you plan to cut and solder more than one wire at a connector, make the cuts different lengths. That way, the solder joints are staggered, and won't create a big knot in the harness. Also, some of the original wire colors will remain.

·
Premium Member
5,505 Posts
Hmmm... three wires, thicker than usual gauge. I'd guess that is the connector that routes the generator stator output to the rectifier. A very common problem on Suzuki V-twins, so I've seen it before. As that connector gets some dirt in it, contact resistance increases; contact resistance leads to heat, which increases resistance, so more heat. Repeat until connector begins to melt. If my guess is correct, it didn't cause your cranking problem; I'd keep looking for damaged wires, or a burned starter relay.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,151 Posts
Not sure why your picture has a content warning on it,

·
American Legion Rider
21,862 Posts
Not sure why your picture has a content warning on it,
Where do you see that John? I don't see anything but the photo. Could it be something your browser is doing?

·
Premium Member
5,505 Posts
I see it too. It has a circle with 18+ in it, with this warning "Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18". Could be my browser (Firefox) is looking for a tag in the photo, and throws that warning, I guess.

·
American Legion Rider
21,862 Posts
Could be my browser (Firefox) is looking for a tag in the photo, and throws that warning, I guess.
Very possible. I have my browser set for adult viewing so that might explain why I don’t see the same. Although I sure don’t see a thing wrong with the photo but maybe there is embedded text in the original we don’t see with a copy.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,151 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh crap sorry wrong picture! Hahaha, just kidding, i have no clue why it's saying "sensitive content" that is pretty odd. Took the picture like 3 minutes before I posted it on here lol.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts