Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I ride a 91 Yamaha Virago XV250. It's an old bike but I've never had this problem before. I gave it a wash a few days ago and the next day I tried to start it but all I got was intense clicking from the starter clutch.

I recorded this video in the hopes it would help, but the forum won't let me link it until my post count is greater than 15.

Ended up having to push the bike and releasing the clutch while in first gear and it started up perfectly. Rode around for an hour without issue. Even stopped the bike to refuel and it started again without any problems. I got home and let the engine cool down for an hour or so, tried to start it only to have the same annoying clicking return. I've recharged the battery. I've looked inside to make sure there was nothing physically disrupting the gears. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ed

·
American Legion Rider
25,606 Posts
While you have battery off for load test be sure to clean the terminals and connections. Then get them goodin-tight(that's German correct Eye?).

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Do you get a single click when pressing the starter button, or chattering/clicking?
It might be a starter relay going bad, that is IF the battery has been confirmed ok.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts