Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was thinking about picking up a vintage sports bike as a winter project, but am a little undecided... could anyone give me some advice?

im looking between mid 70s to late 80s?

I really like the look of the honda cx650 e, 83 - 84... and i quoted the insurance and it wasn't to bad.. I plan on riding this thing a lot, and my main concern is replacement parts, longevity, and ease of riding.

the largest bike i have ridden previously has been a 250cc... but im pretty comfortable on motorcycles. I dont want anything much bigger then the cx650 e, but dont want to feel i need to upgrade it because it isnt pulling its weight on the highway.

i am very partial to the ujm bikes as well, but love the style of the honda cx650... so if anyone can point me in a direction i would be very grateful.

·
Sickle Punk
964 Posts
I've got an 1981 suzuki GS550. I love it, but its not the best on the highway cruising(due to low sports bike gearing). This was my first bike, and it was never "too big" for me. You don't have to worry about old sports bikes like you do modern ones. Remember, a "classic sports" is the same class as "middleweight cruiser" in today's terms.

an old GS series couldn't steer you wrong. For highway speeds, get a larger bike, I know the made a 650, 750 and 850, as well as an 1000 and 1100. I wouldn't be biased to going above 650 if you want a highway bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, thats for the replies, i will be trying to get a nice vintage sports bike for the winter to work on shortly.
Ill try to keep you guys updated on the rebuild assuming i find what im looking for.

my current dream bike would be a honda cb 700or750 sc nighthawk 1984 i believe.

if anyone has any leads regarding one for sale in ontario please mention it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im actually going to be looking at a 750 soon... but the guy says one of the cylinders is a little low on its compression test, so i need to hear numbers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts