Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My 14 year old son picked up this engine that he would like to use for a project, but we don't know what it is. Can anyone help us with identification?
It has a small starter w/ CB200 on it, but I haven't found any pictures of a Honda CB200 that look like his motor.

The guy he got it from had no idea what it came out of. I don't know much about motorcycles, so and help would be appreciated. Once he knows what it is and what it came out of he can try to find a wiring diagram and order and parts it needs. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
The CB200 was a twin cylinder and did not have a starter motor. The clues: E starter motor, CDI ignition, kick starter, large throat on the carb, wide front sprocket for larger chain. So probably a 400cc or bigger single around 1979. Another clue, a tach with the red line at 10500. yikes, that is a lot of revs for a single. Engine sits in a double loop frame, with the forward down tubes the width of the engine. The frame may be a single tube above the engine with a tab for that one mounting point in front of the carb. It is a single overhead cam with two valves adjusted the old way. No shims.
It is the old style sensible carb, that does not have a vacuum hose.
Where is the engine number? That will help.
The truck in the background does not run.

UK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,531 Posts
Good info there especially from Riz.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. I will look for the engine number. He didn't find any other numbers, but I'd better look it over to see what he might have missed. He did figure out the wiring and got it to fire today using a battery & the starter that's on it. He wants to use it in a go cart he is building.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha Ha. There's an engine number on it clear as day. I don't know how he missed it.
LC163FML Comes up as a
LONCIN ENGINE 200CC LC163FML FOR DIRT BIKE
The number below that is DD005982. Would that be the serial number?

The mounts match up for a Honda 200cc motor he already had, so I guess that was a clue. The Honda is missing some parts, so he will likely try to use this motor. He doesn't have much money to work with.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,531 Posts
Glad you solved it.

·
American Legion Rider
26,003 Posts
Wow, got it to fire and know what it is, that's great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good ideas on the muffler. My son is about to buy chain for the motor. He's not sure if the stock sprocket for this engine needs to use 40 chain or 420 chain, or if it matters. He will be connecting to a jack shaft with a sprocket that he says is universal and will take either.

His concern is that if he uses the wider of the two (the 40 I think) that it might be too wide & come into contact the the case or cover.

Many thanks for your help with this. With us being home bound for awhile, I'm glad he has this project to work on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts