Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I just picked up my first bike, a 1982 Honda CB650 Custom. I'm posting from Toronto, Canada so some terminology may be different.

I picked up the bike and was able to get the title transferred into my name no problem. On the UVP (Used Vehicle Package) the bike is listed as an 1982, same as on the ownership. Doing my wikipedia research the bikes were only manufactured 1980-1981 as the 650 CUSTOM. I checked the VIN and it says the manufacture date was 10/81.

All this leads into the VIN not being able to process through my insurance company and the gentleman asking if the year was correct. Now I know most vehicles in a production year are manufactured the year prior e.g.. my 2009 Lancer has a manufacture date of 2008.

So, is the bike really an 81 and the Ontario government has the wrong info, or my insurance company is wrong?

Can someone please clear this up for me so I can ride!!!

Thanks

· Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,473 Posts
It's an '82. The date of manufacture is different than the model year. I the 10th digit decodes the modle year so you can decode it yourself to be sure. Most vehicles start production of the next model year in about June of the prior year. An extreme example is the 1984 Corvette. Chevy skipped the '83 MY all together releasing the '84 in April of '83 as it met all the requirements.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
8,510 Posts
Usually September is the cutoff. So anything after 09 is made for the next year. It is difficult to make a bike in January, in Japan, and ship it to Canada, and on to ON, and have it sitting in the bike shop showroom, still in January. There has to be some lead time. If the motor vehicle registration folks, or a bike dealer, or the vehicle insurance dudes do not know this: Then why do they have their job?

UK

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Usually September is the cutoff. So anything after 09 is made for the next year. It is difficult to make a bike in January, in Japan, and ship it to Canada, and on to ON, and have it sitting in the bike shop showroom, still in January. There has to be some lead time. If the motor vehicle registration folks, or a bike dealer, or the vehicle insurance dudes do not know this: Then why do they have their job?

UK
Ya I dunno man....The guys been good to me but I'm hoping it's just a system error and not a meathead employee.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.