Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to look up a previous owner of my 76 electraglide. He may have some information about the condition of my bike and what work he has done. Is there any way I can look up this information? When I go to these vin look up sites they say the vin needs to be 17 characters. My title only has 15 according to my NC registration. Does any one have any suggestions? I have the correct vehicle ID # . Thanks

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Vehicle numbers were standardized at 17 digits after 1981. Before that, the manufacturers used whatever system they wanted. Some of their numbering systems changed formats frequently.

There may be an online database for older Harley motorcycles, but my guess is that it will only show model type and year. Previous owner information would be kept with the state that the motorcycle was titled in. This may or may not be public record depending on state law, and probably not be available online.

Your best bet is to contact your state DMV to see if those records are public or private and how to access them if they are public. There may be a fee for record retrieval.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vehicle numbers were standardized at 17 digits after 1981. Before that, the manufacturers used whatever system they wanted. Some of their numbering systems changed formats frequently.

There may be an online database for older Harley motorcycles, but my guess is that it will only show model type and year. Previous owner information would be kept with the state that the motorcycle was titled in. This may or may not be public record depending on state law, and probably not be available online.

Your best bet is to contact your state DMV to see if those records are public or private and how to access them if they are public. There may be a fee for record retrieval.
Im going to try that. Thank you. B N

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.