Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's about a look back to some of our guys roots.
The chopper guys, products of post WW2.
Dirtbike guys, well, everything was dirt in the beginning.
Crotchrocketters can look back at European GP roadracing.

And these guys, The Teddy Boys, The Rockers, who threw on a set of Clipons, and raced from pub to pub in 1950s England, gave us the birth of the Cafe Racer.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Must have been fun to be on roads with virtually no cars or trucks. I notice that they were riding much of this ride on the "wrong" side of the road for UK riders. Seems like they were having more fun than some of the group rides I have participated in where it was also tavern to tavern, but typically at a slow, boring pace accommodating barely capable riders.

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ya Vito. I think some of that footage was lifted from other places. Might explain the wrong side for the UK thing.

Thing I found kinda cool about those guys, in general, is they didn't drink or do drugs.
Mostly purists about the ride, it's been said they believed it dulled the senses and so the feeling riding gave you.

Anyway, thought it was cool to see the same basic lines and style of those old Triumphs, that really
are still in vogue today. I can't identify the models, never could keep those BSA and Triumphs straight, maybe someone else can, but whatever they are, they seem to be timeless as far as what a bike looks like.

Pretty cool how easy it is to embed vids here.
Maybe put another off beat one up tomorrow.

Anyone has one they like, I'd love to see it.

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually an ad for a camera, some interesting items in this one. Note the GP shift pattern. The way a chain acts under load. Camera placement. Braking technique. The choice of music.
Ya.

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How about a look at something current, something cutting edge, something that borders on main stream popularity.
Round 7, Tampa, of this years AMA Supercross Series. Last weeks race. This is the helmet cam of Adam Cianciarulo, #9. The number 2 guy of the factory Kawasaki Team. This is the future in this venue.
A rookie in the big class, the 450 class, you can see a guy that has all but what comes with a few more years of maturity and experience. He should have won this one. But, his teammate, #3, Eli Tomac, from the previous generation of riders, who lives and trains at 6000 feet above sea level, is in beast mode.
And try as he might, Adam, well, just watch.

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you were a high schooler in the early 70s, and you saw this movie, there’s a good chance you were convinced, as soon as you got out, you were hitting the road. That’s Phil Spector as the dealer, Jack Nicholson as the Lawyer, Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper as Billy. Who by the way, IMO, had the better lookin bike.
Easy Rider. Cliff notes edition.

·
Ace Tuner
2,008 Posts
I like these stupid old biker gang movies because they are sooo funny.
I believe they were serious efforts at movie making back in the day.
All of us kids wanted a cool chopper like in the movies.
Then we discovered performance and handling, that was the end of our lust for choppers.

This is much more to my liking although I've never had the guts to race here.

S F

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, most were b grade movies. CC and Co. Joe Namath milking his win in the first Super Bowl.
But I tell ya Semi, u still see that stuff that makes one chuckle. I watched The Matrix the other day. The motorcycle escape scene was, ah, amusing.

Here’s one. Maybe one of the most famous jumps of its time. Yeah, Steve didn’t pump that one. But he was a rider, a pretty good one at that. If u look close, he doubles as both chaser and eascape.

This is the one that hooked a ton of kids on bikes back then, myself Included.

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys how about a bonus vid for Monday night?
Round 8, AMA Supercross was last Saturday night. Almost 60,000 people filled that place. That’s not Motogp numbers, they might have 100k show up to watch at times.
But 60 thousand, for a freaking dirt bike race, ain’t bad.
Talk is this track was maybe a bit too much. 3 top guys got hurt pretty bad.
AC #9, the guy at the top of this thread, the future, broken collarbone.
Last years Champ, Webb, #1, almost got killed.
This one was a tripple crown event. Unlike the rest, with qualifiers and one main event, they run 3 motos, with Olympic scoring, lowest score of all 3 motos, wins. Like old school motocross.

Kawasaki might have lost their #2 guy for the season, but #3 Eli Tomac makes a statement. Passes all comers in the premier class, in the final moto,
Without hardly breaking a sweat.

This Championship is his to lose.

·
Ace Tuner
2,008 Posts
Many of us have seen the videos when Evil Knievel crashed trying to make a jump.
Personally I only like to see him jump when he pulls it off successfully.
I never would have paid to watch an "attempt".
You gotta remember he used STREET bikes, not the motocross type bikes of today...

S F

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m with u on the crashing thing semi.
The big thing about him, he was the first. Nobody had even thought about pumping a jump like that.
Hey, if u can find it, there’s an old black and white one of him, when he was just starting out. He’s on a Triumph, does a medium sized jump, and then has a small parachute pop out. Lol. Effin gold.
Cool u put that up Semi.
He was a pioneer.

·
Ace Tuner
2,008 Posts
Not motorcycles but is racing history in that it's the first live televised coverage of the Daytona 500.
So naturally the two guys going for the lead have a, ah, problem and settle it by fighting.
1979 - Cale Yarborough / Donnie Allison crash each other, then fight... On live TV.

S F

·
American Legion Rider
19,392 Posts
I personally know Big Ed Beckley and I can only assume Evel Knievel was beat up more than Big Ed is. Ed is like a board he has been pinned and fused back together so much. I haven't talked to him though for several years but do know he's finally retired but still promoting motor sports and is a motivational speaker. Evel and Ed are wired differently than most of us, mentally and physically.
:D :D :D Pain just isn't in their vocabulary. I believe this is one of Ed's last jumps. Now Big Ed didn't quite make it to Evel's world but Evel didn't have 300+ pounds of body flying thru the air either. Ed is really a good ole boy. I feel honored to know Evel thru Ed. But I got to get my neighbor to throw another private party so I can talk to Ed again. He's a hoot!!! And his wife isn't hard to look at either.;) ;) ;)
And one more from your neck of the woods Porky,
HD dealership near the Pig Tail.

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
U know SemiFast, NASCAR kinda lost me when the went with custom built cars. Looking at that vid, it brings it back. They raced cars, yes, heavily modified, that everyday people drove.
Which was a big part of the allure. I mean, a Dodge Charger was a Dodge Charger. If u had one, or had had one, it was a no brained who u rooted for.
Cool vid.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts