Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use for video recording your rides, what microphones, cameras, any tips or tricks for new people using this equipment? I have been riding for 50 years but just got into the gopro thang. I do have an older GoPro HERO4 which works great except for wind noise. Haven't tried narrating into it while riding yet.

·
Registered
2015 custom/ modded Yamaha R3
466 Posts
Ive tried to put several different cameras on Raven. She spit them all out. All these expensive cameras are roadkill now. Raven does not like cameras on her.

·
Registered
2015 custom/ modded Yamaha R3
466 Posts
I am assuming Raven is your bike.. Have you tried mounting it your helmet? That's where mine is at the moment.

R. S.
Yes Raven is my bike. Ive had several on my helmet. They worked the best but all got destroyed through various mishaps.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
2,990 Posts
I have the garmin virb ultra 30. Works fantastic.

Here's a screen grab from my camera.

It's mounted on crash bars.

Here it is on my CBR.

I control it with my Garmin GPS. Don't have to, I just do.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I currently have two setup for my GoPro Hero7. One is helmet mounted. The other is tank mounted behind the windscreen. Tank mounted the audio is picked up from the camera mic. The helmet mount requires a mic adapter cable into the GoPro that runs inside the helmet to a lapel mike. This arrangement worked better with the Hero3/4 than does the 7. I have also mounted them in various other locations on previous setups, ahead of the windscreen, on the side fairings, mounted to the rear pointed forward, rear pointing back. Tank pointed forward or back, etc.

I have yet to find a camera with easy mounting and great audio, good battery life and easy remote controls, and high quality. Maybe there is one out there as I haven't researched the latest offerings.

·
Premium Member
8,938 Posts
Check the archives. Someone posted a while back about this subject. Mostly to do with the sound.
I do not do a video on my rides. I did one a while ago to show the roads on my Island. I do not watch other folks videos. UK

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got a different mic for my Hero7 yesterday. Gonna try it out this afternoon. Will post the results. That was the only complaint so far with the GoPro is the wind noise. Don't have a windshield, so hopefully this different mic will work.

·
Premium Member
8,938 Posts
The info guy put the microphone in the rear compartment. No wind noise, just exhaust. I got too much wind noise with mine. Going to try some tape over the tiny hole. Not going to pay more for a unit that has a separate pick up. UK

·
On The Road Again!
3,838 Posts
I started out with a cheap Chinese camera, the "ExtremeCam". Pretty good audio, fairly good video too, but no image stabilization. I got completely frustrated trying to get video that didn't shake like heck making it unwatchable.
Then last year I got a GoPro Hero 8 Black.
What a difference!!! It is absolutely AMAZING how well the image stabilization works. No matter where I mount it, no matter how much the camera bounces around, the video is smooth and stable and completely watchable!!!
The sound still sucks however. All I get is wind noise.
I have no interest in narrating as I ride. If I want narration, I can add it later in my video editor.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
412 Posts
I got this one.

Looks like they have an updated one.

Here is a video I shared just messing around with it

I recommend using the largest memory card you can put in, whatever it you get, and have a second or third you can swap out for long rides.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wanted to check out the new mic on the GoPRo, got all setup for the ride today and realized the battery was dead in the camera. I thought I charged it up last night, but it was dead.

·
Secret Agent
2,990 Posts
I keep three batteries and a dual battery charger. The charger runs off USB power, which my bike has(now). I'd look in to the hard wire kit, but can't use it with the waterproof cover.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Gopro, and every time I try to use it seems to make me crash. Becoming disheartened with that.

... sometimes I crash and then I turn it on, because I thought it was already recording. Then it looks like this:

... & the sound track for that went something like this: Ow! ** ** ** ** ** ** ** that hurts ** ** ** ** Holy ** that hurts ** ** ****...

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have a Hero 9 and it's surprisingly good with wind noise, though it is kept in a case. I have a lot of exposed front bits on my bike, so I put it high up on the fork (see picture for reference). I just ran a power line from the battery to the camera and run it on loop. Works well.

duca.jpg

·
Registered
778 Posts
I keep three batteries and a dual battery charger. The charger runs off USB power, which my bike has(now). I'd look in to the hard wire kit, but can't use it with the waterproof cover.
I was able to find a door replacement with a pass through for mine. I just used a dremmel to cut out enough of my hard case to get the end of the USB into the camera. Works well. I'm not sure what series GoPro you have but I see they have a replacement door now that integrates the power cord. The only downside is it was direct from GoPro and shipping with as much as the accessory, and though my Hero 9 is waterproof I still keep it in a case to protect it from road debris. My little mod works well though.

·
Secret Agent
2,990 Posts
Mines a garmin virb. I could probably do that too, or just buy another water proof case.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Mines a garmin virb. I could probably do that too, or just buy another water proof case.
How do you like your Virb? It was a tossup between the Virb and the Hero 9 for me, but I went the safe route, what with this being my first action cam. I was intrigued by the Garmin though, mostly because it has some sort of interface to my GPS. Does it do looping? That was a must for me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was able to find a door replacement with a pass through for mine. I just used a dremmel to cut out enough of my hard case to get the end of the USB into the camera. Works well. I'm not sure what series GoPro you have but I see they have a replacement door now that integrates the power cord. The only downside is it was direct from GoPro and shipping with as much as the accessory, and though my Hero 9 is waterproof I still keep it in a case to protect it from road debris. My little mod works well though.
I did the same, mine is an older HERO4 so I had to Dremel out the opening of the clear case for the new mic to plug in. Hopefully once I get the front tire changed today I can go for a ride and test out the new mic. Supposed to rain though.

R. S.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts