Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The flavor of the day is Victory. Are there any years or models to avoid? Aside from the regular used bike stuff, are there any known recurring issues or tell tales to watch for?

What about must have models? I'm thinking the Judge would be on that list.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Avoid the pre-2003 bikes. Many of them had serious transmission problems.
As far as older must have bikes the Kingpin was a great bike.
I love my Vision and all the performance gear I can get for it but the styling turns some people off.
A must have for any recent model Victory is the adjustable timing wheel. It will give any 106/6 about 4 ft-lb and 4 HP throughout much of the RPM range. Not a lot of extra power but it also smooths out how the bike runs for only $162 including a re-useable timing cover gasket.

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
They dropped the Jackpot this year, along with several other models (Cross Roads, Judge, and Boulevard)

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
I just looked in Craigslist and you can buy them cheap around here right now. There is a 2013 Vision with 550 miles on it for $16,200. They're mechanically a pretty sound bike, I might consider one If I liked the looks of anything in the Victory line-up.
I have a friend with an Cross country and he loves it, but it's that Matte orange, it's just hard to look at. But yes it will outrun a Street Glide. But it'll also get ground into the pavement by a Goldwing, even after you spend your life's savings hopping it up. ;)

·
American Legion Rider
21,185 Posts
Now you know no one wants to hear the ultimate road couch can out perform ANYTHING else don't you ODE?:D

·
Registered
388 Posts
I just looked in Craigslist and you can buy them cheap around here right now. There is a 2013 Vision with 550 miles on it for $16,200. They're mechanically a pretty sound bike, I might consider one If I liked the looks of anything in the Victory line-up.
I have a friend with an Cross country and he loves it, but it's that Matte orange, it's just hard to look at. But yes it will outrun a Street Glide. But it'll also get ground into the pavement by a Goldwing, even after you spend your life's savings hopping it up. ;)
Older used vics are great for the buyer the resale value sucks for the seller but if your looking for a bike to ride for a lot of miles and not planning on selling it they're awesome. Bought a 04 Victory Touring cruiser in 2012 it only had 2500 miles on it basically brand new paid $4000 for it, just turned 57,000 miles.

Bought a 05 Victory Vegas with 11,000 miles on it for $5600 last year.

·
American Legion Rider
21,185 Posts

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
Where to start..

Bines Keep your clutch cable lubed and inspect it frequently. The most common issue I have heard from Vic riders is broken clutch cables. That the only issue I have had with mine, except for a shorted starter solenoid last summer.

hawkaholic37 Yes, all the Victory models are running basically the same engine. Some have different cam profiles, or tuning to modify the power curve; but for all practical matters they have the same mill.

Value retention It amuses me when people talk resale value. Some of us buy a bike to ride the hell out of it, not to resell it in a couple years. That being said, the Cross Countrys seem to be holding steady on the used market.

Magnum I had the chance to crawl around a Magnum yesterday at the IMS. The fit and finish of the Magnum rivals Harley's CVO scoots. It is much more than just adding a 21" front hoop to a CC. This bike is brilliant.
BUT, since it is lowered, the Victory rep said it is not set up for 2-up riding or mounting a trunk. The stock CC suspension would have to be fitted to accept a passenger or trunk.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
I've got to find out if our local dealer has one & if so get over there and look at it. I won't be taking a passenger and Randy will be on the Vision so the saddle bags would be extra storage for us. We've been on 3 week trips with all of our things stuffed into the trunk and saddle bags on it.

One of the things I like about it is the lower seat. I'm only 5' 2" so it might be great for me. :)

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
" The fit and finish of the Magnum rivals Harley's CVO scoots."

The CVO bikes don't get any more attention to fit and finish then their standard versions do. The focus of the CVO department is on performance and function upgrades.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
In your opinion, are the CVO models worth an extra $12,000 or whatever it is they charge for them? Not asking if you would personally buy one, but whether or not a guy gets his money's worth.

·
American Legion Rider
21,185 Posts
Hey hawk, I don't think so. Little extra chrome and a paint job but you have to like the paint job. Performance is sorta up to buyer. 103 versus 110 is noticeable but is it worth it? Again I think you can get an Indy to do the same thing for less. In fact do that and have them send the tins off while they make the upgrade and you have a truly unique bike the way YOU want it for less. With a CVO you just tell everyone you have money and no brains. But that's just my opinion. Eye may see it different. I'd go Indian for much less money for the same, well better performance at a 111 and still have a unique bike. Right now that is. There is getting to be more for that very reason.

Here's a custom vintage Willow Green/Cream with graphics. About $40k. CVO price. Maybe even less. I really don't know. This guy said it was about $8k over base price what ever that was.

Just looked it up. That must have made it in the $38K range.

Oh crud. I probably hurt someone's feelings with the CVO and brains. I'm just not too PC.:(

I was given a "rough" estimate of $40K when I inquired at the dealer that did this Roadmaster as the price with everything I want is the reason I popped of that $40K number. He said he would start with a black Chieftain and added everything in including new paint and graphics. So guess it general does cost about what they ask for a CVO in "rough" figures. But I was adding a lot including a lot of gold leaf work. I wanted a outrageous price that I could show the CFO how much I sacrificed to bring the price down if I got an Indian. Didn't work. Still on the Harley.:D

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,879 Posts
Victory Builds a Fine Machine although think the Magnum is Overpriced unless really Floats Your Boat as it is .. The Vision is no question the Finest Handler in Comfort of all of them .. But for me the Cross Country Tour is their absolute best bang for the buck for the Long Haul .. With the Storage and Features the CCT Offers ..

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
In your opinion, are the CVO models worth an extra $12,000 or whatever it is they charge for them? Not asking if you would personally buy one, but whether or not a guy gets his money's worth.
I don't think any new motorcycle is worth what they ask for it, no matter what the brand, so I'm not the one to ask.:) A LOT of people think they are though, because they keep making and selling them.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Yeah, google Victory and transmission. Figure out what year they fixed it and avoid the earlier models LIKE THE PLAGUE.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
Personally, I'd buy a bone stock EG or Crossroads and spend the extra cash making it mine, before I spent all of that money on a factory "custom" like the CVO or Magnum.
I only bought new because I have no time to spend repairing a bike should I buy a lemon or ignorantly buy a bike someone just didn't take care of.

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
The CVO bikes don't get any more attention to fit and finish then their standard versions do. The focus of the CVO department is on performance and function upgrades.
You are correct. But most of the CVO models also get fancy paint and more chrome; that's what I was trying to convey.

Given my choice, I would probably get a normal Cross Country, possibly one with chrome instead of the normal black engine/pipes.
If the Magnum is to your liking, it really isn't much more than a CC with the factory custom paint.

CC 8-ball = $18,000
Cross Country = $19 - 21,000 (depending on paint, chrome package)
Magnum = $22,000 ("factory custom" trim, upgraded stereo, etc.)
And if you need that purchased individualism even more, you can get the Ness Custom Magnum for $24,000.

I'm with OldDeadEye on this one too. I'd buy a stock CC with the chrome package and send it to my buddy Eric for paint.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts