The Next Bike I Would Rather Buy, Would Be A:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We've seen the Poll Thread that asks "Victory or Harley," (I'm sure I put my own two cents in there already), but I don't believe it is a fair "Poll," now that I re-visit it again.

I believe it SHOULD include Indian Motorcycles:

So let's "Poll" again..........(this Poll will continue for 10 days before closing)

-Soupy

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,857 Posts
Voted Victory for one simple reason .. Although Find it Easy to do my own Maintenance on Victory's I have one of the best Victory Wrenches you can find 15 miles down the road from me that has his own shop now after being a Service Manager for Victory for 10 Years .. While don't have any plans for another Bike anytime soon if ever .. That's my One Reason ..

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I have my first Vic now. I like the idea that just about every drivetrain part interchanges with all of them built. Makes it easier to get a part should it need one. I have 18,000 miles on mine since July last year and have only had a voltage regulator go bad.

Have not had an Indian, at least not yet. They are just not the style I am looking for at this time. Maybe next year when I am ready to trade again.

Have had three of the other brand, but that was back in the 70's. Seriously doubt if I will ever have another one.

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
My wife is starting to get into motorcycling, and likes riding with me. So I need to investigate getting a larger bike, better for two-up riding. This won't happen for a few years, I think. We'll make due with the bikes I have now. One of my current bikes is a Harley Sportster, and I love it. So my natural assumption was an Ultra Glide. But we sat on one. I am 6'6" tall, and I found the cockpit surprisingly cramped. My knees were well above the gas tank with my feet flat on the floorboards. And the bikes have a guard/frame around the saddle bags that pressed into my wife's calves while her feet were on the floorboards.

We both like the looks of the new Indian Roadmaster, and will be checking it out soon. And the Victory Cross Country Tour is nice, with the cheapest buy-in price by a great margin. If it is as comfy as the the others, it will be hard to pass it up given the $5 to $7 thousand dollar price difference compared the HD or Indian.

The only thing I know for sure is that we will choose a bike from one of these three American manufacturers. And who knows, in a few years when we pull the trigger, there may be something new on the market.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wouldn't it be something, if a brand new motorcycle, totally American-made, suddenly crawled out of the woodwork??

Fully "made here" (parts and all), with great looks, and a great price?

Time for someone to show up on "Shark Tank" I think!!

-Soupy

·
6,486 Posts
Based on the situation here in my geographical area, where there are NO Victory or Indian dealer's within around 60 to 120 miles away, logic tells me to buy a Harley as 20 miles away is a LARGE HD dealership where I have bought Harley's, parts, clothes and accessories from. They also have an absolute state of the art service dept with maybe 20-30 lifts right in a row. They also have a huge following and sponsor all kinds of weekend events for charity and just fun.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CCUQFjAA&url=http://www.hideouthd.com/&ei=GZRYVYLtDYP6yAT7noGwBQ&usg=AFQjCNFf9_SozspJ14AlJRewh0uc-Rzn0g&sig2=SXRLMfu7IKQv7Oma2W7rVQ&bvm=bv.93564037,d.aWw

Here is how I would vote if all things were equal:
#1 Indian
#2 Victory
#3 Harley

Sam:biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
18,531 Posts
I think it's still too early to be able to judge anything about Indian. It appears they'll be as rock solid as Victory but two years just isn't enough in my book. Personally I want an Indian as my next bike but Victory's performance is making me lean that way regardless. Don't think I'll be trading the Harley though. It has never left me stranded either. Yep, it's needed repairs but got me home. Even if it was full throttle and top speed of 45mph, it got me home. Can't knocked that.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
The only bikes I plan on buying would be ones to make money on, and they would likely by Harley's. I could also see myself buying a small bike to screw around with and tinker on, and that would be an old Honda or older European bike. As for riding, I'll still be on the bikes I have now, and they are HD.

I like the looks of the new Indians, but don't want one. The engines look a little crudely finished, but over-all they look well made. I'd buy an original Indian in a heart beat, but realistically I could never afford one.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,599 Posts
I'm a supporter of the current Indian because I think Victory did a nice job trying to guess what they'd be like now keeping to the classic styling in a modern bike, but they just aren't my style.
Harley? Well as I've said before, I don't find fault with the bikes but mostly the general population riding them, and their attitude. Maybe also because they're a little too popular/common?
I'd love to have a Victory though, I like the styling, fairly easy maintenance, and quality that is on par with the best manufacturers anywhere. But mostly - the style, I love the looks of the bikes, it just speaks to me, and I think that's the biggest part of any new bike purchase

·
Driftless Rider
1,486 Posts
Victory Gunner or Victory Cross Country.

Not really a fan of Indian styling, although the Scout is pretty cool.

I can't see myself buying a HD, I just see other manufacturers doing better things for less money. And as mentioned in the previous post, they are just too cliché.

But, who knows what will happen down the road....

·
Registered
886 Posts
I only have experience with one Harley model, the XR1200, none with the Indian or Victory. My opinions are that Victory and Indian are open to new ideas like the Victory race bike in another topic and new designs from both. Harley doesn't really try to develop new engine technology or styles other than cruisers and touring bikes, Indian and Victory haven't strayed far from that formula either but they both seem more open to the possibilities. The main thing about Harley is they introduce "new" models with eighty year old or more suspension technology such as springer front ends and hardtail rear frames, great if you were around when they were standard equipment and want a nostalgic ride. Back to the future anyone?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
My wife LOVES her new Indian Scout! As do I, except that it's a bit too small for me. I respect all the other Indian motorcycles but am not crazy about 'nostalgia looks' (tassles, flowing fenders, etc), so no other Indian bike clicks for me.

I recently test rode a couple of Harleys (2 Vrods & a Fat Bob). From those I really could see me liking the Fat Bob the most. Time will tell.

I can't wait to test ride a Victory Cross Country! That is probably going to be my next bike unless the testride is disappointing

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
The main thing about Harley is they introduce "new" models with eighty year old or more suspension technology such as springer front ends and hardtail rear frames, great if you were around when they were standard equipment and want a nostalgic ride. Back to the future anyone?
The current Springer front end doesn't have much in common with the older, friction dampened sprung front ends of years ago. In fact it's arguably one of the most comfortable front ends out there for a cruiser.

And Harley hasn't made a hard tail frame in about 60 years or so.:)

Actually, Harley has been a rather innovative company. For example, they made their last bike with drum brakes about 35 years ago, yet Honda still uses drums on some models, yes? And now the touring class have linked ABS brake systems that are quite impressive. Go 60mph on a Street Glide, and slam on the rear brake only. Not only does it not slide, but the front brakes automatically without touching the lever.

I'm not sure where you're finding the 80 year old technology.

·
6,486 Posts
They all parrot that stuff eye--basically because they grew up on Japanese bikes. As soon as they switch to Harley, then they will eventually bad mouth the Jap stuff. Almost everyone is biased and prejudice to their brand--you know, the pride of ownership psychology/ mindset.;)

Harley only needs it's own loyal following and not another Judas, spreading not only lies about the product but about the people that ride and enjoy them.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
Translation: You believe that Victory and Indian motorcycles don't now, and won't in the future, have the resale value of a HD. Right?

-soupy
You asked Eye, but I'll throw in my thought as well. Victory hold their value better than the imports, but not near as well as HD. At least around here. They have been around long enough to get a good feel on them. But will a 40 or 50 year old Vic compare to a similar HD? Hard to say. The Indians, too early to say. My gut tells me they will hold value well over time. Much better than imports. But up to the HD level? Hard to say.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Translation: You believe that Victory and Indian motorcycles don't now, and won't in the future, have the resale value of a HD. Right?

-soupy
I know that right now I can buy an older Harley, fix it, and resell it to make a profit. I have no idea what Victory's or Indians will be worth twenty years from now. Heck, if I'm alive twenty years from now I dern sure don't plan on flipping bikes at that age anyway.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
You asked Eye, but I'll throw in my thought as well. Victory hold their value better than the imports, but not near as well as HD. At least around here. They have been around long enough to get a good feel on them. But will a 40 or 50 year old Vic compare to a similar HD? Hard to say. The Indians, too early to say. My gut tells me they will hold value well over time. Much better than imports. But up to the HD level? Hard to say.
I think the current Indians will do well over time. The Gilroys, and the ones right before Polaris bought the brand, aren't worth much of anything, but I think the current incarnation has a lot more going for it then the earlier ones did.

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
I agree. All Indians after the demise of the original company, and before Polaris, just aren't Indians. In my opinion. I know many tried to make the hrand viable again, and I commend them for it. But they just weren't Indian. I think with Polaris we finally have a company with the history, finances, knowledge, and clout to make Indian real again.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts