Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Spirit 1100 VT and have a vibration in the handle bar that after riding at highway speed (60 to 70) for a while it make my hand feel as it has gone to sleep. Is this the norm for the VT 1100. I have replaced the tire and balanced the tire with dyna beads.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I have a friend that has the Shadow 1100 and he has no problems with front end vibration. I know I broke a fork spring in my old Goldwing and that really made for an interesting ride.

I would check your fork oil and springs first.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
are the handlebars and risers stock? if not you may be able to deaden the vibration with some bar end weights....there's also something (I think it was called a bar snake?) that you would remove the bar ends and fish it through the bar....it was sort of like a sock that was filled with sand (not really sand, but something of weight) that would absorb the vibrations

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I put a BarSnake in the bars of my S50 Boulevard, because they would ring at speeds between about 50 to 65 mph. I put the end weights back in after installing it. Now they are quiet.

I also balanced the throttle plates, so one cylinder isn't working harder than the other, and creating excess engine vibrations, and made sure the valves were properly adjusted. If your engine has these adjustments, setting them up well will reduce the vibrations a lot more than bar end weights and a BarSnake; those just clean up what's left.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vibration is after 50 sounds like the Bar snakes is what I need. Thank you for your advice.
Dan

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
The vibration is after 50 sounds like the Bar snakes is what I need. Thank you for your advice.
Dan
I don't know if I would call it "vibration" that I get on my bike, but it could also be called a minor shimmy. It happens during cornering. I have matching, new tires front and back, and the fork has been checked for issues (none found). Are you actually getting "vibration" like holding a beard trimmer, or a feeling of movement?

-Soupy

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know if I would call it "vibration" that I get on my bike, but it could also be called a minor shimmy. It happens during cornering. I have matching, new tires front and back, and the fork has been checked for issues (none found). Are you actually getting "vibration" like holding a beard trimmer, or a feeling of movement?

-Soupy[/QUOte
Soupy. It is a vibration not a lot just enough to make my hand feel it is going to sleep. It only starts at around 50 up but does not get worse at higher speed. I'm going to try the Bar Snakes if I can find out what ID my bars are.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I had braided steel brake lines on a Connie and they would vibrate the grips so bad that my hand would go numb, had to loosed the straps that held them to the frame and put a piece of rubber between them and the frame.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had braided steel brake lines on a Connie and they would vibrate the grips so bad that my hand would go numb, had to loosed the straps that held them to the frame and put a piece of rubber between them and the frame.
I will take a look at this Thanks very much.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Just FYI, if your bars have internal wiring, you have to get the liquid form of BarSnake, which seems to be always out of stock. Also, while I did mine single-handed, I have flat style bars, with very little been on either side. If your bars have more curve, like those in soupy's avatar, you will need a helper, IMO. BTW, I actually did mine twice, because I didn't trim it enough to allow the bar end weights to fit all the way.

In some cases, I've heard of guys using silicone rubber and adding something like lead shot as they poured it in, to help absorb the vibrations.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just FYI, if your bars have internal wiring, you have to get the liquid form of BarSnake, which seems to be always out of stock. Also, while I did mine single-handed, I have flat style bars, with very little been on either side. If your bars have more curve, like those in soupy's avatar, you will need a helper, IMO. BTW, I actually did mine twice, because I didn't trim it enough to allow the bar end weights to fit all the way.

In some cases, I've heard of guys using silicone rubber and adding something like lead shot as they poured it in, to help absorb the vibrations.
My bars are the buck horns like soupy so looks like I will need a helper. They have no wireing inside them. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
It takes quite a lot of pulling power to move the 'Snake as more of it gets inside the bar, and you can't push on it. Make sure you squirt plenty of the recommended lubrication ahead of it, too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts