Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm currently blasting across Oklahoma on Highway 20 on a Vespa GTS 250 scooter. I left Alabama three days ago. The riding has been just fantastic. Highway 20 parallels I-40 but is a combination of two lane and four-lane with lots of small towns. You can go 90% of the interstate speed 80% of the time and have all the small towns and diners and interesting things to see along the way. I got really lucky and dodged some major weather which I watched on the MyRadar app on my iPhone. as I crossed fortunately the storm stalled out and started moving south of Tulsa. I finally found the tornado magnet some dirtbag attached my bike apparently a piece of a mobile home and I reversed the polarity on it so now instead of attracting thunderstorms seems to be pushing them out of my way. One of most beautiful parts of the ride was this morning from Fayetteville Arkansas on Highway 16 . But there was fantastic riding all through the Ozarks as well I'll have to put up a map of what my route was . The Vespa has been just incredible it's Top speed is around 82 mph but it will do somewhere between 72 and 78 wide open throttle happily all day long I put a new tire on for this trip and have had no, zero problems whatsoever with this bike. I've got both under seat storage and a top box so plenty of room for extra layers winter gloves and so on . The first day out of Huntsville I took Highway 72 up and turned south on the Natches Trace Parkway to Tishimingo it's springtime everything is in bloom and it was just absolutely gorgeous riding but my favorites are Highway four and Highway five near Ripley Mississippi over to Senatobia which are just absolutely gorgeous canopied over tree-lined two lanes with very little traffic . Getting across Oklahoma is taking a lot longer than I expected even blasting 70 miles an hour on the straightaways it's just a big state that's all there is to it . I've got to get to Albuquerque by Thursday so I can get over to Phoenix by Friday for Warren's wedding on Saturday. Knock on wood barring any major accidents or breakdowns it shouldn't be a problem. I absolutely ripped up some twisty roads in the Ozarks I really could not have gone any faster even on a bigger bike maybe on the straightaways but I was going through the curves about as fast as I could leaning the scooter essay over just having a complete blast didn't have any sand or gravel no animals on the road no Debris the roads of the Ozarks are just fantastic. And when you turn 1000 corners in one day it improves your writing skills considerably !

Attachments

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

My luck just ran out! Flatted outside Woodward OK

Anybody got any friends in the area? Amarillo?

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
You do realize you're making many re-think what it takes to tour don't you.:thumbsup: Although you are on a HUGE 250 compared to my 185 when I started touring.:)

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well I plugged the tire and Covington Cycles in Woodward Oklahoma is going to have me a new tire tomorrow morning.

I could probably make it to Albuquerque on the plug but I'm not willing to risk it.

It turns out Federal Express will not overnight tires because of some stupid Department of Transportation safety rule as we all know tires are prone to bursting into flames and exploding in aircraft cargo holds. What complete bull****!

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Btw, AAA "Premier" is the only RV and motorcycle towing insurance that's worth a damn. Whether you have Geico or any other insurance company-based policy I can virtually guarantee you you will be out of wallet if you have to get your bike towed.

Next road trip I'm going to have Front and rear spare tires sitting at home tightly boxed up so nobody can see that it's a tire that can be FedEx'd to me anywhere I need.

Also a tip on using the plug kit a little lubrication (grease? Silicon lubricant?)on the tip of the tool would make it a whole lot easier to stab that thing through the tire. It took every bit of strength I had.

I haul a mini air compressor with me but failed to realize that I don't have a cigarette lighter plug on this bike.

I hate it when that happens !

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
A small tube of rubber cement would work better, as it would both make the plug slippery for installation and help to hold it in place after drying.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
That machine of yours is gonna be just a tiny bit out of place at Covington"s.

http://www.covingtonscyclecity.com/
"We don't work on scooters" was the first thing they said

"We don't patch or plug tires" was the second thing they said

Eventually I convinced them just to let me use their air compressor hose and a bucket of water to find the leak just to see what we were dealing with

Apparently "The Brotherhood" doesn't extend to scooter riders even though Covington's owner reportedly rides a scooter around town... saw it in their shop

(The only scooter I've ever seen with a Get-along whip attached to the handlebars)

Why do people have to be like that? When I see a traveler broken down I'll do everything in my power to help get them back on the road. Even going out of wallet if I can tell they're broke.

These guys eventually did help but only after a sufficient amount of begging and pleading for help.

Simply stated the Harley Davidson community has never done me any favors while I've rescued several of theirs.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
"We don't work on scooters" was the first thing they said

"We don't patch or plug tires" was the second thing they said

Eventually I convinced them just to let me use their air compressor hose and a bucket of water to find the leak just to see what we were dealing with

Apparently "The Brotherhood" doesn't extend to scooter riders even though Covington's owner reportedly rides a scooter around town... Saw it in their shop

( The only scooter I've ever seen with the Getalong whip attached to the handlebars )

Why do people have to be like that? When I see a traveler broken down I'll do everything in my power to help get them back on the road.

These guys eventually did help but only after a sufficient amount of begging and pleading for help. Simply stated the Harley Davidson community has never done me any favors while I've rescued several of theirs.
I'm surprised they'd do anything that wasn't Big Wheel custom. But being the only show in town I would think they'd help someone out. Hell, my friend couldn't even help you out, until I bought a Harley he was using the dealer for service. They just moved to Wooderd last winter, he's gonna be hitting up Covington's if his bike quits now.

I bet I see him every 5,000 miles though for service.

·
7,459 Posts
Wade, thanks for sharing your trip and adventure.:)

I was down into northern Arkansas yesterday, did 160 something miles total and the Ozarks are my normal riding area on my Burgman 650 or on my Kymco 500.

I enjoy riding alone and do so all of the time but there are some areas that always make me worry about flats especially, since the remoteness of the areas means that finding someone to stop and help could be hours in coming and cell phone signals aren't a priority in the heartland.

In the middle of Kansas, OK or TX, on a 100 degree day or a cold 20 degree day could spell disaster very quickly if one had a breakdown. The engines on these scooters are bulletproof but a tire or BELT failure could be very troublesome.

Imagine being half way from Socorro to Show Low, in the late afternoon, and having a breakdown!!!!!!!!!!

Have fun and be careful on your return home.

Sam:coffeescreen:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts