Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can't even properly LOCATE the nearest Vespa dealer using Vespa USA's national website.

So many Vespa dealers come and go....I've heard numerous reasons why, but Vespa simply DOES NOT seem to know how to do business in the USA. At least not outside of major scooter-cities like San Diego, San Francisco, etc.

Had a former Vespa dealer in Texas told me it was strictly the economy, killed by a certain Republican president oer a decade ago. Went from selling 124 scoots in a year to 8. Had a dealer in St. Louis tell me how Vespa corporate COMPLETELY and TOTALLY screwed him over.

Just had a Vespa dealership in Albuquerque tell me they were strictly a "botique" dealership, as they are owned by the Garcia auto group, and the owner's wife...blah blah blah. Said they lost money every year and only made it up on volume ;) (Since they charge at least $500 OVER MSRP on every scoot they sell).....they also sell Kymco, btw.

I've only had any luck dealing with ScooterWest, in San Diego, in being able to talk to a KNOWLEDGEABLE person on the phone about parts. As a result I've bought over $500 in parts from them SO FAR....basically CVT overhaul, filters, a few accessories, etc.

They ALSO were able to tell me about "upgrading" the 250 motor to a 270 or thereabouts for a few more horsepower...$399 kit ups the displacement. Turns out the 300 is a complete different motor, can't just swap jugs/pistons, etc.

A couple of scooter shops down on Central in Albuquerque....long gone.

i saw innumerable Chinese scooter dealers come and go in Farmington NM. Don't know if any were Kymco, or the better brands, most sold junk that died long before even the short 6 month warranty, and these places didn't even have techs to work on them, much less parts.

I've already "learned my lesson" about buying Italian rather than sticking with Honda or Yamaha for scooters. (Love it, would do it DESPITE the difficulties getting parts and service)

As in Albuquerque's Vespa shop can't get my scoot in for 2+ weeks....

So I'll probably end up doing the swingarm/bearing repair, and kickstand repair/replacement myself.

It SEEMS TO ME that Vespa "goes broke" in the USA every 10 years or so, re-invents itself, tries again, ....run by bean counters instead of scooter enthusiasts, finance asswipes, marketeeers...

I have a secret goal (don't telll LIckerSplit) of goingn to SF and working as a tech in a downtown scooter shop for 6-18 months..... be the only sixty-year-old on a Vespa???

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
There is a Vespa dealer in Middleton, WI. Which is in the Madison, WI metro area. They have been in business forever, it seems. Peter Egan, of Cycle World fame, is good friends with the owner. They seem to do well. But Madison has a huge bicycle and scooter population, while the rest of WI does not. I don't know that the dealer would survive elsewhere in WI.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
760 Posts
My local dealer sells Vespas along with two other brands of metric motorcycles/scooters. I'm pretty sure, because of our touristy area with lots of weekend/summer homes, he probably sells more scoots than motorcycles. I thought about getting a pair of his and her Vespas after we retire just for buzzing around town myself.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... I thought about getting a pair of his and her Vespas after we retire just for buzzing around town myself.
Unless you like being a member of the Vespa "cult" (including paying the "dues.") I suggest you instead invest in a pair of Honda PCX-150's or Yamaha S-Max (155's) instead.

Italian stuff seems to be fantastic WHEN it runs, but...

·
Charlie Tango Xray
760 Posts
Unless you like being a member of the Vespa "cult" (including paying the "dues.") I suggest you instead invest in a pair of Honda PCX-150's or Yamaha S-Max (155's) instead.

Italian stuff seems to be fantastic WHEN it runs, but...
But, but, I want to be able to say we own Vess Paas...:biggrin:
My local Vespa dealer is also my local Honda dealer who I've known personally since I was ten. He'll keep us on the road or he'll never hear the end of it at get togethers. I even have the retro model picked out... ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts