Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my neighbor sadly passed away on
Halloween in a motorcycle crash. He had a couple Harley’s and a BMW 1150 Rtp motorcycle.
His family asked if I wanted it to repair, sell or scrap.
So I took it, it’s been in storage for awhile now and I started looking into it. Checked fluids replaced the fuel and charged the battery. Before he passed he said there was something wrong with it but it wasn’t to big of a deal to repair. I got it started and let it run for a bit, sounded ok to me. When I restarted it a short time later it made this terrible screeching noise.
I have no Bmw repair shops near me that I know of.
I’ll share a couple videos I took of the first and second start ups. I’m just looking to be pointed in the right direction. Fix, sell, or scrap. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Hmm.. it's really hard to tell if that's normal or an issue from the video. I hear something that you might be describing, but I can't tell if it's a squeal or the exhaust.

Does that bike have an external alternator?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s the first video, everything sounded ok to me. If you go back to my YouTube page and look at the second one you’ll hear the loud noise. I believe it’s internal from what I read.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Wow, OK. That's it!

Starter motor stuck engaged would be a good place to start, as Wintersol suggested.

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
You can use a mechanic's stethoscope ( $4 at Harbor freight and they work great, I used them for YEARS troubleshooting baggage conveyor noises) or a long screwdriver with the handle pressed to your ear and the point touching the object to help locate a sound, it really makes a difference.
https://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-63691.html

Reactions: WintrSol

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
If you can't find the stethoscope, a length of fuel tubing with a screw or bolt in one end is a bit easier, and maybe more safe, than the screwdriver method, though I've used both. Open end of the tubing in an ear, touch around with the end of the screw; it should lead you to the loudest spot.

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
Good idea, I never heard of that one.

If you can't find the stethoscope, a length of fuel tubing with a screw or bolt in one end is a bit easier, and maybe more safe, than the screwdriver method, though I've used both. Open end of the tubing in an ear, touch around with the end of the screw; it should lead you to the loudest spot.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,670 Posts
That is a new one on me as well.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Well I'm shocked. I thought everyone knew that one. Guess being poor you learn to make do at a very early stage and just figure everyone must already know things like that. It works very well by the way.

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
I guess the tribal knowledge base is just different in each area, around here everyone knows the screwdriver trick, I learned it as a kid from my Dad. We weren't poor but he grew up poor and never got over it, always drove 20 year old rust bucket cars even though he could have easily bought a new one.

Well I'm shocked. I thought everyone knew that one. Guess being poor you learn to make do at a very early stage and just figure everyone must already know things like that. It works very well by the way.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,670 Posts
Same thing here Mike, in fact I have a long screwdriver in my tool box just for that purpose.

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
Try the $4 stethoscope, you"ll never go back to the hose or screwdriver :)
Very true, until the battery dies, or you have to make do away from your shop. I don't carry mine in a saddlebag.:devil:

Wonder if the OP has used any method to hunt down the source of his noise, yet?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts