Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This site requests you introduce yourself as one of your first few posts so people know you are serious and not a hit and run type poster. Introductions found here ... https://www.motorcycleforum.com/forums/new-member-introduction.305/
I hope this doesn’t come across as a loaded question! So, let me clarify;

I‘m looking to get my first motorcycle at 25. I want something with an upright position and pegs that put my legs at a 90 degree angle. I like the idea of highway pegs too. Nothing high-speed, I’ve had biker brains on me before and I’d prefer not to follow the same path!

I sat on a KTM adventure bike at the store and I HATED how the pegs had my feet back like a sport bike. The Versys has better foot positioning, and is also pretty comfortable. I sat on a Shadow and it felt like absolute heaven. My problem with the cruiser, is they lack versatility. I can’t really do off-road shortcuts on a cruiser! I honestly would be 90/10 in terms of street/off-road, but I like the ability to “adventure“ (lol) out and ride off the beaten path.

So my idea is this: I could buy one bike (Versys 300x) that can pretty much do everything as my first bike, or I can buy a cruiser like the Rebel 300 for street riding and also buy a TW200 for exploring.

I’ve always wanted a TW200 anyway, but it lacks the power needed for riding anything even remotely close to highway speeds. So I think I’d have to buy a cruiser like the rebel to actually learn on, and I’d just have to buy a TW200 later down the line. I guess the advice I need from some old heads is this:
Should I buy a bike that tries to do it all, or should I just start out on something relaxed like a cruiser and branch out to other different purposed bikes from there?

Hope this wasn't a totally stupid question. Stay dangerous.
-Jake

·
Moderator - Motorcycle Repair, Building, Restore
3,874 Posts
Welcome from Granite Falls,WA, Jake. I'll do my best to help you out here.

I have a 650 V Strom, which is essentially a bigger version of a Versys if I'm not mistaken. It's a great bike, I don't have a bad thing to say about it. But I rarely ride it. In fact, I'm selling it. I bought it with the same intention you have, I'll take it on mountain roads, logging roads, etc. I have this huge network of old roads and trails called the Mountain Loop in my backyard and guys go adventure biking there all the time. The truth is, though, that when I do that stuff, I want a bike that can really handle something rugged if I come across it. I always end up taking my XR650 or my DRZ400 instead. They are dual purpose bikes.

If I go riding on the road, I end up taking my Thunderbird (cruiser) or my Scrambler (standard) instead. The V Strom is actually a better street bike than the Scrambler, but it doesn't have the coolness factor of either of the Triumphs ;)

I don't actually believe there is one bike that does it all. That's why they make a thousand different bikes and garages that hold ten of em!!! IF I was to only own one bike, though, it would be a dual sport, because a good one can be a ton of fun on the road and in the dirt. I LOVE the dirt and I think if you spend any amount of time in it you will fall in love as well. A DRZ400 is pretty hard to beat for the money, especially if you are a new rider and not trying to kill yourself right out of the gate. They say the KTM and Husqvarna dual purpose bikes are pretty badass, but they cost twice as much and need maintenance twice as often, so if you aren't wealthy, I would stick with Japanese. Just my two cents brother, I hope this helps.

You'll also want to post in the introduction section when you get a chance. This allows more people to help you with your questions, and you can get to know us as well :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome from Granite Falls,WA, Jake. I'll do my best to help you out here.

I have a 650 V Strom, which is essentially a bigger version of a Versys if I'm not mistaken. It's a great bike, I don't have a bad thing to say about it. But I rarely ride it. In fact, I'm selling it. I bought it with the same intention you have, I'll take it on mountain roads, logging roads, etc. I have this huge network of old roads and trails called the Mountain Loop in my backyard and guys go adventure biking there all the time. The truth is, though, that when I do that stuff, I want a bike that can really handle something rugged if I come across it. I always end up taking my XR650 or my DRZ400 instead. They are dual purpose bikes.

If I go riding on the road, I end up taking my Thunderbird (cruiser) or my Scrambler (standard) instead. The V Strom is actually a better street bike than the Scrambler, but it doesn't have the coolness factor of either of the Triumphs ;)

I don't actually believe there is one bike that does it all. That's why they make a thousand different bikes and garages that hold ten of em!!! IF I was to only own one bike, though, it would be a dual sport, because a good one can be a ton of fun on the road and in the dirt. I LOVE the dirt and I think if you spend any amount of time in it you will fall in love as well. A DRZ400 is pretty hard to beat for the money, especially if you are a new rider and not trying to kill yourself right out of the gate. They say the KTM and Husqvarna dual purpose bikes are pretty badass, but they cost twice as much and need maintenance twice as often, so if you aren't wealthy, I would stick with Japanese. Just my two cents brother, I hope this helps.

You'll also want to post in the introduction section when you get a chance. This allows more people to help you with your questions, and you can get to know us as well :)
Thanks for the wisdom! The DRZ400 seems like another good bike to try. I did some lookin around and it seems like it can handle highway if needed. I’ll do some more lookin around

·
3,874 Posts
Thanks for the wisdom! The DRZ400 seems like another good bike to try. I did some lookin around and it seems like it can handle highway if needed. I’ll do some more lookin around
Mine is new to me and still a work in progress, so I haven't gotten to ride it much yet. My friend rides his over the passes and back from eastern Washington regularly. It won't win any races but will do highway speeds fine. My XR650 would probably do 100 but it's on the heavy side for trails, and SUPER torquey for a newer rider. I would step up to the 650 before jumping right on it.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Check out a scrambler. Yamaha scr950, Triumph Scrambler and Ducati Scramblers are all solid bikes, there are others as well. Light, upright, easy to ride, enough power for the highway but not likely to hang with the sport bike crowd. A Bonneville with the right tires might also get you what you’re after but I would definitely upgrade the suspension.

·
7,940 Posts
The Versys mini-adventure bike sounds to me like what you may need as it will do it all and when you decide to move up to a larger bike, there are plenty around. The Suzuki DL650 V-strom absolutely can't be beat, new or used.:)
Sam:)

·
3,874 Posts
Check out a scrambler. Yamaha scr950, Triumph Scrambler and Ducati Scramblers are all solid bikes, there are others as well. Light, upright, easy to ride, enough power for the highway but not likely to hang with the sport bike crowd. A Bonneville with the right tires might also get you what you’re after but I would definitely upgrade the suspension.
I have an '06 Triumph Scrambler. It's heavy and would be almost useless on a trail. It could be done, but it wouldn't be fun. Hey look, that rhymed!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts