Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a cb550 that was a 'bike in a box' project. It was pulled apart b/c of a bent valve. I bought a new intake valve, and I am
putting new valve guide seals in. I started by removing the old one first(works better that way), and noticed that there is a washer within
the old valve guide. I don't see one in the new ones that came with the engine gasket kit. There is NO WAY that the old washer could fit
within the new seal. :confused: Was the washer part of the old design, and it isn't needed, or am I supposed to reuse it somehow? Can someone
who's done this before please help?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
By washer, do you mean the metal ring around the body of the seal to apply pressure on the end? I have seen some new seals which no longer use them, the OEM seals did.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I think that was it. I have now discovered another problem. Upon removing all of the valve stem seals, I discovered that the ends of almost every single one of them have been "egg-shaped" and are cracked or broken. :eek: Can I buy new valve stems for this bike? I am also looking for someone to press the old ones out and press new ones in. I am glad to discover this before I reassembled everything, but not very happy that it has happened. Apparently, at some point, the previous owner of the bike floated the valvetrain pretty hard and long and broke all the valve stems. Aaaarrggghhh! Oh well, better now than later...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts