Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! I'm new to site and hope this question hasn't been beat up to much in the past. Can I get a reverse gear for a 1998 honda valkyrie?

·
Registered
48 Posts
No. They were available on the GL1500 but not the Valk.

You could of course make something work but that would be time and money that would be best spent on a bike with reverse if that's what you're looking for.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
No. They were available on the GL1500 but not the Valk.

You could of course make something work but that would be time and money that would be best spent on a bike with reverse if that's what you're looking for.
Just how does the reverse work on a Gold Wing? You have me curious now.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
This is on the GL1500

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTZa4tXrFQI

and on the GL1800

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rm17snFKog

I'm not positive but I believe that the reverse runs off of the starter motor.
VERY interesting! I will have to research the mechanisms themselves and find the means to do this!
I would actually consider finding some way to do this with other bikes as well, including my Vmax.

You mentioned that money to make this work on a Valk would be better spent on buying a bike with it already installed. While in 99% of the cases, that is 100% true, in my case, I am one of those who LOVES projects like this idea, and would actually consider it money BEST spent for me lol

EDIT:
I'm not positive but I believe that the reverse runs off of the starter motor.
I do not know how that would work, because the starter motor turns the crank, and the crank is disconnected from the rear wheel when the bike is in neutral. My guess would be a 2nd dedicated electric motor hooked up to the driveshaft somehow.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
My guess would be a 2nd dedicated electric motor hooked up to the driveshaft somehow.
that's what I understood also when I heard about reverse on a Goldwing, flipping that switch changes the "connection" for the electric from the starter to the other electric motor that runs the bike backwards, but I don't know if it hooks into the drive shaft or on the wheel itself

·
Registered
2 Posts
Look up on YouTube "Honda Valkyrie with reverse"
I would post a link but I don't have the 15 posts required yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts