Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Set my vacation today, but our destination not so much.

We bought our Honda VTX 1300 last year for two up. We also knew we wanted to do a "long trip". Time is drawing closer.

So far we have considered a trip down to ride the Dragon in TN.

Also considered going north to the UP around Lake Michigan, or cut it in half with a boat ride.

Trip to Myrtle Beach, I figure it at 12ish hours.

But right now our plan is to ride east, till we hit the ocean. No set point or time table. We ride till we decide to stop someplace for the day/night.
We should have at least five or six days to ourselves.

I don't see us camping this go around, it will be hotel nights.

Any advise?

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Pack clothes to use in layers for changing temperatures. Include rain gear just in case.

Carry some water to make sure to stay hydrated. Snacks are good to have along too.

Stop for the night before you get fatigued.

Bring a camera to take lots of pictures.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
Ride.

Just ride.

If you get tired, rest, hungry, eat.

I love trips with no destination, and no itinerary.

Young bikers pick a destination and go.
Old bikers pick a direction and go.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like we might take HWY 50 from Indiana to Washington DC.

Thought about spending a day in DC.

1) Look for parking in the city?
2) Catch a train on the western side?

I have only been in and out of the airport, any advise?

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I may have missed it but when is your vacation, June, July, August, etc? That would help in any advice I might give. The UP of Michigan can still be very cold the 1st week of July while in August it is usually very comfy.

Some of the Aways pack things for us are windshield polish/cleaner and a couple microfiber rags, sunblock, chapstick with sunblock, shampoo, body wash, lotion, medicine kit, flip flops (just in case our feet get wet and need to dry out), waterproof boot covers, rain pants, mesh jackets which also have a waterproof layer or textile coat which is waterproof, rubber gloves, freezer baggies - pint, quart and gallon sizes, 3 or 4 heavy duty trash bags, tape, a few bungie cords, tape, leatherman tool, and a few other tools.

I hope this helps.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,528 Posts
Living in the area I would park outside and ride the train or subway in.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
the things that have caused me to have to stop and turn around are lack of earplugs / Ipod, my wallet, cellphone charging cords, rain gear/winter gloves, and failure to turn down the house thermostat.

Failure to bring tire repair tools / mini compressor can really really slowyou down. A cargo strap / bungees allow you to pick up acquisitions. A tablet is great for route planning, and writing up your trip en route.

Sunblock, water, extra layers, clean underwear, fresh shirts, sunglasses......lots of things can be picked up en route.

A pair of heavy duty yard trash bags can double for rain gear, fold up very tight, and have lots of other uses, like ground cover for sleeping out, keeping your sleeping bag dry on the back of the bike, etc.

One thing I've sometimes forgotten is my good camera. A cellphone camera just doesn't cut it.

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
Pack

Some of this sounds a bit like my list for the 70 mile ride to the big city, and a weekend on a sail boat, then return.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First week of June.

Everyone is saying don't drive in DC, take the train. Must be a good reason, if we stop that's what we will do.

Looks like I can get a day pass on the Metro for about $15?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,528 Posts
There is a lot to see and do in DC, driving really isn't one of them. Look up the MARC train web site, you can actually catch the train in WV and take it to DC. From there you can take the subway

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advise everyone.

Because of an injury I have been working around, our trip is going to have to be a little more limited.

Over the holiday weekend it became apparent unless something changes drastically in the next few days there is no way I could make the distance. And still have any kind of a good time on the other end.

So we are looking at cutting the trip in half. It will still be a long trip for us, and one we have never done on the bike before. It will be a long day going and a long day home, and we could even take longer getting home. But while there it should be an easy day or two of riding. And I won't have to get in a hurry.

We are looking forward to it. My wife is very relived about the change, and she loves the area.

I hope to do a full report about it when we get back.

If I am not mistaken it will be pretty close to the area Critter's signature picture was taken.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
UP is cool, but take some skeeter repellant. I'll probably be doing the dragon later this year.
Have fun!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got back Tuesday night, Gatlinburg TN. Road the dragon Monday morning, almost had the road to our self.

Great trip, just shy of 1000 miles on the clock.

Will try and do a trip report next week.

Plan to hit the WWII memorial in Indianapolis tomorrow.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I have one too...rode it twice, early on a Wed morning. There were still some crazies going too fast on bikes and in cars. I don't particularly want to ride it again. ;)

·
American Legion Rider
18,660 Posts
I actually prefer the roads in Arkansas myself. They can keep the T-shirt.:p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts