Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an 85 v30 magna Great bike however it sat for a yearish and now issues. Ive drained the fuel and put in new. lines are good and she starts and idles in full choke but if you give it throttle she dies and same if you close choke any ideas?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Magna carbs are famous for issues, the worst one being the difficulty of removal. Just as hard to re-install... I have a 1983 V-45 [750 cc ] under my care. I got a factory service manual and read out the instructions as a local shop did the removal. I cannot remember all the parts that had to come off, but it was a considerable undertaking. Really a bargain at 150.00

Once the carbs were off, they had to drill a hole and use a screw to take off the caps that cover the idle screws. That is where the trouble lay as they were plugged with gunk. More issues with shrunken O-rings that made the unit leak upon re-assembly. I would not recommend buying the needed O-rings from honda because there are entire kits and video help for the carbs available from the aftermarket. Google magna carb V-4 musclebike and you should find what you need to get the job done.

There are also people who you can ship to that can rebuild them, but there is still the issue of removing them and re-installing as a unit, and that ain't easy....

Since the bike does run, there is a possibility that Seafoam would clear out the cobwebs in the carbies. I suppose that it is possible that it could work, but certainly there are no guarantees

1 - 2 of 2 Posts