Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I really want is a Suzuki GS650E or better yet G. But I think maybe the local service people would rather deal with something newer. Which I think means V-Strom. It would have to be an older one.

But I hate hate hate the malevolent facial expression on it. I'm just not a malevolence kind of guy.

I wonder whether it's feasible to somehow convert the frontispiece to a standard round-headlight sort of thing.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the V-Strom has the same engine as the SV650 and the SFV650...? If either one of those would work for you?

What I really want is a Suzuki GS650E or better yet G. But I think maybe the local service people would rather deal with something newer. Which I think means V-Strom. It would have to be an older one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You can change the front of the v-strom. Just do a google image search for "naked vstrom" and you will get plenty examples. imo they don't look any better tho. I'm 5' 11'' and I feel squashed up pretty good on an SV650. I ride an 08 v-strom and love it...even if it does look like Dame Edna.:)

·
8,599 Posts
V-Strom's are ugly like a new born Baby but their looks tend to grow on you:biggrin:

I had a new DL1000 in 2007 and thought it was just "Plane Jane" but it was a good lil scoot.:p

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Premium Member
8,944 Posts
Suzuki

The V Strom should be taller than the SV. I had a 003 SV650. It fit me okay. I am 5' 6". The V Strom might be more comfortable for many riders.
The V twin should be easier to maintain than the earlier 4 cylinder GS 650.
The 1000 V twin has a lot more grunt, but the smaller bike is nicer to ride around town. The 650 engine also runs smoother.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sometimes Suzuki does things that are really senseless. The SV sportbike, which is made for aggressive riders, is available with a traditional headlight. The VStrom, their Mom and Pop bike (which is me all the way) sticks you with a homicidal facial expression and a goofy rear fender a foot above the tire. If that bike needs a foot of rear suspension travel for riding around town, it's probably going to be a remarkable experience.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The SFV650 is actually a standard, not a sports bike. It has an upright seating position, with the foot pegs directly below your torso. I have an SFV650, love it, and I don't do sports bikes with their "front leaning rest" position and foot pegs to the rear...

Sometimes Suzuki does things that are really senseless. The SV sportbike, which is made for aggressive riders, is available with a traditional headlight. The VStrom, their Mom and Pop bike (which is me all the way) sticks you with a homicidal facial expression and a goofy rear fender a foot above the tire. If that bike needs a foot of rear suspension travel for riding around town, it's probably going to be a remarkable experience.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The SFV650 is actually a standard, not a sports bike. It has an upright seating position, with the foot pegs directly below your torso. I have an SFV650, love it, and I don't do sports bikes with their "front leaning rest" position and foot pegs to the rear...
No foolin? Then why is there a VStrom?

I'm not being funny here, I want to know....
What's the dif?

·
Registered
809 Posts
The SFV650 is a standard bike made to look like a sports bike. Apparently standard bikes that look like standard bikes don't sell well anymore - like the Honda CB1100.

The VStrom has the same engine as the SFV, but packaged as an "adventure touring" bike. The SFV fits shorter riders better (31-inch seat height) while the VStrom fits taller riders better (seat is two inches taller).
No foolin? Then why is there a VStrom?

I'm not being funny here, I want to know....
What's the dif?

·
Premium Member
8,944 Posts
Short

Even a 31 inch seat is higher than I like.
I should measure the bikes I have.
The problem for a 650 around here, is they are in the same insurance bracket as a 750. Is why I ride the XS400 in the winter.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The SFV650 is a standard bike made to look like a sports bike. Apparently standard bikes that look like standard bikes don't sell well anymore - like the Honda CB1100.
Gosh, that Honda is a beautiful motorcycle. Too big and too new and too expensive for me but wow.

My last bike was a Suzuki GS850G, which I dearly loved but was a little heavy for me. I think I raised the seat four inches total, and had the footpegs lowered about an inch and a half....

·
Registered
809 Posts
I hear you, Unkle!! There were a lot of very nice bikes that I had to cross off my list just because of seat height! I didn't want to hassle with any of the 'shortening' procedures or parts, either! Didn't want to screw with the factory geometry!
Even a 31 inch seat is higher than I like.
I should measure the bikes I have.
The problem for a 650 around here, is they are in the same insurance bracket as a 750. Is why I ride the XS400 in the winter.

Unkle Krusty*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts