Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Yamaha V-Star 650, This is my first shaft drive bike and of course I am having shaft drive issues. whenever the rear wheel is rolling when it is in gear there is an intermittent squeak coming from the housing for the rear end. I checked the driveshaft splines and lubricated them, I replaced the wheel bearings (but not anything inside the rear end case) and there is plenty of fluid in the rear end. still the squeak persists, Has anyone had this happen? should i take it in? I have no vice or any of the specialized tools to adjust the backlash from the ring gear, but would i need to do any of that crap just to replace a bearing? I'm getting sick of taking off the rear tire and would like to get this sorted out once and for all.

Thanks in advance,
-silver

·
Registered
503 Posts
The squeak comes from the final drive not being lined up evenly. When you look from the rear,the gap between the hub and final drive should be equal all the way around. You can make adjustment by torquing the bolts in proper sequence or by shims.
Here is a link that describes the proper way to do it

http://www.650ccnd.com/FinalDrivealignProc.pdf

been there done that ........ hope it helps

Rat

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. You are the dude! The guy at the yamaha dealership didnt even mention that and my service manual says nothing about it. Thank you so very much! And a shout out from Fayetteville!

·
Registered
503 Posts
The wife has been riding a 650 since 02 (bought a new 03 that year) I try to do a lot of my own wrenching and with the aid of Google ( what would I do without it ) I has learned stuff my dealer didn't know ( LOL , but scary:eek: )
One problem with the final drives to watch for is the grease drying out. Check i t out on the same site... it happened to a friend and cost him 6 bills to replace.

Hey from Harrison

Rat

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wife has been riding a 650 since 02 (bought a new 03 that year) I try to do a lot of my own wrenching and with the aid of Google ( what would I do without it ) I has learned stuff my dealer didn't know ( LOL , but scary:eek: )
One problem with the final drives to watch for is the grease drying out. Check i t out on the same site... it happened to a friend and cost him 6 bills to replace.

Hey from Harrison

Rat
Yeah, i more then doubled my dealer's knowledge of v-star rear ends. You won't believe what was causing the squeak tho. After all that crap with the rear end, you know the little rubber dust cap on the spline cover? yeah, it was that. rubber on metal like a belt squeaking, a few dabs of moly on it and it hasn't squeaked since... I feel so silly, but at least I know how the rear end comes apart and goes together in my sleep now.

·
Registered
503 Posts
LOL I'm glad you figured it out ....... to bad it took so much work to get to a simple solution :D

A little dab of grease foes a long way ;)

Rat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts