Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently started riding this bike and its got maybe 11,00 miles on it. Its a 2009! Anyway, I mistakenly put 87 octane fuel in it and it now runs badly off idle. It misses while idling and sputters at WOT. Eventually it goes fine but I'd like to know if anyone can help me out with this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Eazy sorry your ride is not working well, I also have a 2009 1300 Tourer and only use 87 gas. How many tanks of gas have you ran through the bike before this happened? Im thinking it maybe something other than the gas.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,843 Posts
I had a new 2012 V-Star 1300T not long ago and it was designed to run on 87 octane fuel:smile_big:

You may have pumped some bad fuel and it's causing the problem.:sad:

Get a can of Seafoam, Lucas or maybe my favorite, Chevron Techron and put a large dose in the tank and ride the scoot hard to clean the entire fuel system. If that doesn't do it check the plugs, which is easy to do on your bike and clean or replace as necessary. Maybe remove the air cleaner which is also a simple thing to do and see if it is clean.:smile_big:

The 1300 is a very nice bike:wink2:

Sam:nerd:

·
Biker
1,726 Posts
YUP good ol' SeaFoam. I was out on the Sporty one day heading over to the Sunshine SkyWay bridge, she ran great, BUT I had to stop and pay the Br. toll,
damn, running rough. I was planing on a nice ride but not with her dancing with one hi-heel and a sneaker, so I head back to the house, fine on the superslab
and good around town but stopping at a stop sign or light, rough. So I finally got her back to the house and poured about 4 ounces into 2 gallons of gas, grabbed a cold beer and sat on the porch for a while, She started to run good again at idle, then I went out an bought an in-line fuel filter and have not had that problem since. . .

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,917 Posts
It should run fine on regular gas. I run 87 in my RSTD and it runs fine. Check your petcock and clean it if needed. Put a few ounces of carb cleaner in the gas tank and run it. Repeat as needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.