Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK first post on this forum. I got a 2000 v-star 1100 classic, very high idle while driving till I come to a complete stop, then it goes down to normal set idle after a few seconds. Ive seen this problem with my searches but haven't found solution. This will happen even if I jack the rear tire off ground, blip throttle and returns right to set idle, if I rotate the rear tire and blip the throttle it will stay high until I stop the tire. It is NOT the cables/choke sticking. If I unplug the speedo sender unit it goes away and operates correctly. I have purchased used parts and installed both the speedo censer and the cdi box thinking it was one of them having issues, (one of the wires are connected from senser to cdi) to no avail. I do not see how this could be a vacuum leak or exhaust leak, or jets clogged up. Any help or ideas will be appreciated, locale repair shop has no idea how these symptoms are related

·
Super Moderator
6,326 Posts
Sounds weird, but check all of your fuses....they are known to loosen up and cause a lot of problems, especially the one's under the seat!

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
This is a carbed engine, correct?

I can't figure out how the speedometer sending cable has anything to do with the idle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its carburetor's, and it's electronic speedometer (no cable). Pickup censor over the drive shaft. I was thinking the cdi adjusts the advance for mph. The censor speedo pickup is connected to the cdi box. Ive run out of ideas. Replaced both cdi and speed pickup with used parts to no avail.

·
10,763 Posts
I had a vstar that ideled oddly occaiionally. It was just some leaking seals. I do not see how the speedo and carb are connected. I will join this thread just to see how this works out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds weird, but check all of your fuses....they are known to loosen up and cause a lot of problems, especially the one's under the seat!
Checked the fuse and solenoid and they had a little corrosion, cleaned it all up and check all other fuses. No change.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes Ive set it with an ohm meter but dont think it was off. It will even do it if I roll backwards and blip the throttle it stays around 1500-2000 rpm. untill I come to a complete stop and then it will return to set idle

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it was the throttle position sensor on the behind the air filter, it was just out of spec. but like it was turned all the way in one direction. if I remember right when you loosen the screws you can rotate it IDK maybe 1/2 turn, and it was bottomed out in one direction and was right at the high end of the spec. so I had to replace the screws that hold it in the carb and get rid of a washer that was holding it from turning more to be able to get it into a mid spec. I hope this is clear to you. Brad

·
Banned
686 Posts
around 1500-2000 rpm. untill I come to a complete stop and then it will return to set idle
This might be a quirk of the FI sytem.

I've noticed that my "new to me" Vulcan idles faster in gear than it does in neutral. Because I set my idle speed in Neutral, I now need to tweek it back just a bit.

I think only a mechanic who is familiar with that particular model would know for sure.

Not the same as what you are seeing but similar maybe.
I think your condition borders on dangerous though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My problem is solved now, I didnt consider dangerous but I was ready to sell the bike. No one could resolve the problem and I lived with that for way to long. Hope this thread will help someone else
I tried to post pick of my bike but it wont let me

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my v star 1100

Strechman...I have the same problem with idle on my v star 1100...What exactly fixed it for you...Please advise me its in the shop now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think these steps will resolve the issue.
1 turn the idle set screw down as low as it will run
2 adjust the throttle position sensor (and/or check if in spec)
3 sinc the carbs
4 adjust the idle (on low side) I dont have an rpm gauge
5 recheck the carb. sinc

Attachments

·
Ace Tuner
1,745 Posts
I guess the takeaway is that the TPS (throttle position sensor) was out of adjustment.
That's interesting, never had one act like that when it was out of adjustment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts