Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

I am new to this forum and am in need of some help. I recently got out of the Marine Corps after 10 years and bought a 2002 Yamaha v star 1100 classic. It sat for a while before i bought it but still ran so when i got it i replaced a few things. The battery, front brake master cylinder, front and rear brake pads and calipers and i went ahead and bought the cobra lo boy shotgun full exhaust with stage one jet kit as well. I have been reading online and did all the work myself. I also removed the AIS today which didnt seem to difficult at all.
My Problem-
when i accelerate i am getting a little hesitation in first gear with crackling/small popping unless i open the throttle completely open which sounds really good but if i am maintaining any speed in any gear i am getting the crackling and popping again and wondering if i did something wrong. any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I don't work on your type of bike, so these are just some non-specific ideas, but maybe that'll get you headed in the right direction.

In very general terms, a hesitation such as you describe is often the result of a temporary lean condition, so I would look for things that can cause that. Restricted off-idle circuit in the carburetor, misadjusted or not-functioning accelerator pump, possibly a cracked or leaking intake seal. Another suspect would be the jet(s) you just installed. How much larger are they then the jets you replaced?

·
A legend in his own mind
2,599 Posts
I agree with Eye, sounds like a lean running issue. jets too small or more likely an air leak. Check seal of boots between carbs and engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts