Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Since I swapped out my factory headlight for a round headlight I now don't have sidelights/daylights anymore.

I'm thinking of using the factory winker location to mount a set of LED winkers to use as a daylight. They won't be blinkers at all, they will be wired up so that they are always on. Do you think they will last and not burn out?

Just a general LED question, not a specific brand. LED is LED right... so I guess it would be ok.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Well, there is a difference in quality between LEDs. With proper regulation, a LED should last many times that of a filament bulb. Cheap LEDs don't have active regulation, and just don't last as long. All electronic devices can fail prematurely, however. IOW, YMMV.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Are you referring to these? Koso winkers. Or any of these.

They don't seem to have any service specifications. Nothing about duty cycle or duty cycle rate or even voltage. So direct wired continuous use will be questionable. But since I don't see anything saying it can't be used that way, then why not. You might want to wire a rheostat in so you can slowly increase voltage. Maybe more research will reveal more info on the thing.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
Check out Custom Dynamics .. My 05 Dyna is LED's all around except for the Hogworkz Headlight, had them over 2 years now with No Problems .. Custom Dynamics are far from the cheapest but good quality with warranty as well ..

·
Visionary
5,245 Posts
Have you considered switchback LED bulbs or lights? They are white or Yellow/ Red depending on which wire you energize. Might be a good choice to have both running lights and turn signals in the same fixture.

Reactions: meierjn

·
Registered
18 Posts
LEDS are usually good for 50,000-100,000 burn hrs life.
That comes out to be 5.7 - 11.4 yrs running 24hrs a day.

That enough for you?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the slow reply guys. I didn't know so many people had replied.

Thanks very much.

I think I might go for it and purchase some LED winkers to use as daylights

1 - 7 of 7 Posts