Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday while out for a few hours of riding, I saw a fellow biker (an old guy like me) run right into the back of a car while riding through a small town in southern Wisconsin. Traffic was moving very slowly, so even though the bike went down, the bike and rider (and car) were undamaged. I stopped to help out and the biker said that the car stopped suddenly in front of him, and he couldn't stop in time. I told him that from my viewpoint two vehicles away it looked like he had his feet on the highway pegs, and he said that was correct. He said he always keeps his feet on these pegs as he finds it more comfortable than on the regular pegs. Enough said.

·
Nightfly
4,029 Posts
Not a very intelligent thing to do, especially in that situation. Hopefully he will wake up and not continue with his stupidity, that's for him to decide.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have seen guys doing this and thought it a bit odd. I have only been riding for about 25K miles and ten years (not much I know :( ), so I still like to keep my feet where they belong.

I also wonder about ape hangers in town as a friend said he liked his up until the wreck. But I have no first hand experience.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
Using the highway pegs isn't too smart in town. It took me a bit of time to get acclimated to to forward controls in town the first time I used them, and the brake is right there.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
Yeah, the pegs are for the open road, but on the other hand, the guy's front brake wasn't working?

I'd guess he wasn't paying enough attention to where he was.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,313 Posts
a little too close. wouldn't matter if he could get on the brake or not.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
How dare you suggest that the rider should lower his "cool factor" by saying he shouldn't use highway pegs in town?!
Yeah, crashing into the back of a car is much cooler than having to ride with your feet off the highway pegs.

Number of factors could've been involved as you've all said:

Following too close
Not paying attention to traffic ahead, and ahead of the car in front as well
Not having his front brake lever covered
Time taken to get his foot onto the foot brake as well as the tendency for cruiser riders to only use the rear brake

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Yeah, crashing into the back of a car is much cooler than having to ride with your feet off the highway pegs.

Number of factors could've been involved as you've all said:

Time taken to get his foot onto the foot brake as well as the tendency for cruiser riders to only use the rear brake
Wait a damned minute. I ride in what might be considered a cruiser position with my feet way out in front of me but I bet I can and will out-brake you in an emergency. I can close my right hand at over 150 pounds of force (yes try it with your bathroom scale) with my grip and do not hesitate to use that grip with my braking. My foot is way out in front but so is my rear brake pedal. I also do not hesitate to put that rear brake to good use in an emergency. In my mind it is all about good control in braking and I am quite confident when I try hard to get stopped in a hurry.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Agreed. Even if he DIDN'T allow himself more time to get his foot down to cover the rear brake, the FRONT brake should do the job (if traveling at a reasonably slow speed mind you, so that he doesn't "end over end" by only using the front brake).

Still sounds like he was traveling too close to the car in front of him though.

In any case, as for the highway pegs...........I only use them when I have long stretches of no stop signs or congestion.

Speaking of highway pegs.........I tend to (because I am long legged) lay my ankles over the joint where the highway pegs bend, rather than put the soles of my shoes on the highway peg pads themselves. This is because the angle would put my knees a bit uncomfortably high up.

Anyone else lay their ankles on the joint, as opposed to "Feet on the pads?"

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
As for me, I won't use highway pegs, I just don't see them as safe even on open roads. Mainly because of the unexpected. Many years ago I had a pair on my old Harley, never felt comfortable using them.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
the ones I want mount to the bottom of my floorboards, this allows me to have my heel on the board and the ball of my foot on a peg....basically just turn my foot out to the side rather than lift my legs up....

·
American Legion Rider
20,004 Posts
Highway pegs are supposed to be used as just a temporary placement to relax muscles. Yes, something can happen but if you really use your bike and put miles on, you need to relax now and then. At least that's how I use mine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Today I saw a dude take both hands off the grips and relax his arms at his side just about the time traffic in front of him slowed suddenly. I heard his engine rev as he geared down, but that's no sub for brakes.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
I don't have highway pegs, but I will move my feet forward and rest the back of my ankles on the foot pegs, sort of, and brace the front of my foot against the highway bar when I need to un-cramp a muscle or just stretch out my legs a bit. (I took the foot boards off my Road King and put on foot pegs that are mounted slightly forward of the normal position.)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,313 Posts
My pegs are mounted low on the engine guards right in front of my floorboards. So like Goliath my heels rest on the floorboards with my toes at an angle but right next to the brake.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Highway pegs are great if you are riding quite a while and you have back issues. It feels so good to be able to straighten my right leg out sometimes. I don't do that when I'm in traffic or I'm on a really curvy road though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts