Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a dumb idea, but I just installed a slip on exhaust and a K&N filter on my bike, 2005 ninja 636. So I would imagine without a power commander or tune it's going to run lean. I intend on getting a power commander soon, but I need to save up for a few weeks. Yes I pulled the trigger on an exhaust too soon, but it's done now. Do you think using lucas upper cylinder lube would mitigate the harmful effects of an engine running too lean for a few weeks?

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
Guessing does not apply to setting the mixture. If it is too lean it will pop and momentary die under load. Upper lube should not save the piston or exhaust valve from getting too hot. I will assume it is fuel injected, which means the exhaust needs to be analyzed and the ECU adjusted to suit. Or you could ride it at WOT, hit the kill switch and look at the plugs. If you ride it and it is lean. You will notice the pipes are hotter than normal, same with the temperature.

My one bike with an ECU and injectors, we ran on the dyno and made the adjustments to the original ECU. We adjusted the timing a bit and the fuel to match.
The other bikes I run up a steep hill at WOT, the way the Mikuni guide suggests.

UK

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
No, although Lucas does make good products and adding some certainly isn't going to hurt anything. My guess is that, if it does lean it out, it won't be enough to do any damage. Many opinions on this but I've read a lot of knowledgeable guys who say don't worry about it as long as you don't constantly bang the rev limiter. You might want to keep the stock filter in until you get the PC, just for peace of mind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts