Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a ton of folks who come in here as you know, asking that same question........

"Should I buy used or new?"

We have (it would appear) about a 75 - 25 split (if you've tallied it) in favor of buying "used."

Why? That's worth exploring!

The "new" bikes are not tried. They may have a track record as a model. They might have even been made for multiple years with very few changes. But as anyone who has experienced the AMF years of HD will tell you, you DON'T buy a model based on past history exclusively. There are other factors that enter into it.

The "used" bikes have had some "time" on the road. The person who DID buy it "new" found out all the ticks and things that needed addressing, if any,and likely took some Warranty time to get the troubles fixed.

You run a greater risk that some problem may not be revealed to you, and you find out later, but if you educate yourself as well as possible on what to look for, you are likely going to be able to avoid MOST of the things that could be wrong, and avoid the wrong purchase.

What bothers me MOST of all, about buying "used," although admittedly I have done so twice now with little or no issue, is that you DON'T know how the previous owner treated the bike; particularly during the "break-in" period, which has a tremendous effect on the longevity of the bike and its parts.

"Price" is always an incentive of course when buying. I too am slave to that factor. When I walk into a showroom and see a vehicle I want, I always deem the price tag "negotiable." I get a kick outa these commercials of late that say, "there's no haggling. The price is, what the sticker says." That's double talk for saying, "we don't want to dicker." Well TOO BAD, "Mr. Dealer." I WANT to get you down to the lowest price I can, and still let you make a profit. Used OR new.

In the end, perhaps one of the larger reasons for buying used, aside from price, is that in a selfish sort of way, you know in the back of your head, that it leaves you room to "buy again" soon, if your purchase turned out to be a disappointment. I can hear the conversation now......

"I dunno hon. The bike just doesn't give me the power I want, and has problems with ............"

She (or he) responds, "If it doesn't suite your needs hon, then why don't you sell it and get what you REALLY want!?"

ahhhhhhhhhhh........the doorway has opened.....YOU get to go BACK to the buying market once again!! That means a number of visits to all your local Dealerships to drool!! I LIKE "drooling" over the stuff in the showroom. It attracts me.

-Soupy

·
Registered
943 Posts
For some of us, new simply isn't an option for financial reasons. That's when it is good to be mechanically inclined. I wouldn't be riding if I couldn't buy used.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
There are some advantages for buying new. Having the piece of mind that the motorcycle is backed by a warranty is one. Another is financing is often easier to obtain.

The moment you ride a new motorcycle it becomes used, so the value will drop off sharply.

If a rider isn't positive that they will keep the motorcycle for a while and actually ride the thing enough to make the cost worthwhile, it is better that they look for used. I strongly recommend new riders buy lightly used, since a large number find they either will not ride as much as they thought they would or that another type of motorcycle actually fits their riding style better.

Those buying older motorcycles should be mechanically inclined. It may sound like a bargain at first, but there are thousands that find they now have an overpriced garage ornament when something goes wrong.

·
7,488 Posts
I buy new 90% of the time. 10% of my bikes have been classic BMW's and others but I'm very careful about not buying other peoples problems.

I LOVE that new bike smell!:icon_cool:

I buy a new bike about every other year so that way I don't have to replace the tires:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
If a rider isn't positive that they will keep the motorcycle for a while and actually ride the thing enough to make the cost worthwhile, it is better that they look for used. I strongly recommend new riders buy lightly used, since a large number find they either will not ride as much as they thought they would or that another type of motorcycle actually fits their riding style better.
This pretty much hits the nail on the head.
I bought new because I was sure of what I wanted and didn't want to buy someone else's problem. Now almost 4 years later the bike has lost close to 50% of the purchase price, but I don't care because I've gotten plenty of use out of it and will get much more,

On the other hand a friend of mine let his wife talk him into buying a used, decked out Soft tail, instead of the new Street Glide he wanted and has had nothing but problems and now he has close to the price of the new bike after repairs.
What's funny is she won't hardly get on it because she says it rides like crap. They could fix some of that by bringing it back to stock ride height and getting rid of the "custom" seat.

·
7,488 Posts
Or they could buy an Electra Glide that is extremely comfortable.:icon_cool:

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
Or they could buy an Electra Glide that is extremely comfortable.:icon_cool:

My wife sid "If you buy one of these you can have a new bike" after I took her on a ride on an E.G..

·
Premium Member
7,637 Posts
New or used.

Over the years I have probably bought 55% used and 45% new.
The new Suzuki was the last year of the 1000cc V Twin sport bikes. All the previous kinks with brakes and handling had been fixed.

My 79 XS11 cruiser and the one Mrs Snippets likes, cost $1500- with maybe $1000- spent on it. This bike runs real sweet.

My 83 XS400 for $350- was a bit thrashed. But a new engine $250- and a bunch of other stuff has it running well. Still under $1000- for this bike.

Just thinking back. All the dirt bikes were new.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
All my main bikes that I've purchased to ride most of the time and use for road trips out of state have been purchased new. All the bikes I keep as pets, (vintage bikes, fun little bikes to tinker with, etc) have been pre owned. Probably about 80% have been purchased new.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I buy used only and from a reputable dealer. The RPM one warranty for around $1000 for two years is by far a better warranty than any new bike comes with. A two or three year old bike has had any warranty work done that the manufacturer will pay for anyway, and just about anything else that could go wrong is covered under the warranty I buy that is for two years and unlimited mileage. I ride around 30,000 miles a year and when my two year warranty is up I just trade for another bike.

I don't have a need to show off a new bike, I ride more than I park.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
.........I buy a new bike about every other year so that way I don't have to replace the tires:biggrin:

I did that with cars, til one day I had more negative equity than positive value. I learned the hard way that there is a limit to this form of buying process.

Not against those who do this, but have learned that having larger amounts of pocket money when purchasing this way, is best.

-soupy

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I've never purchased a new bike. I did purchase one used one from a dealer that I worked at, so I got paid to do the pre-delivery inspection on my own bike.

(It was then that I discovered that the bike wasn't black, but "black cherry." I had already signed papers and paid for it so they wouldn't take it back.)

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've never purchased a new bike. I did purchase one used one from a dealer that I worked at, so I got paid to do the pre-delivery inspection on my own bike.

(It was then that I discovered that the bike wasn't black, but "black cherry." I had already signed papers and paid for it so they wouldn't take it back.)
The "colors" of MY bike I consider to be "white & red" but my wife says "cream & red" and the Registration says something else (that I don't remember at the moment) for what I'm calling "white."

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
21,200 Posts
There ya go. Even your own eyes recognized that color is better.:coffeescreen: Some day you'll grow up and be able to ignore peer pressure.:D My hat is off to you for being able to care for black though.:thumbsup:

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
That is never a consideration for me. I don't have a lot of money, and I don't buy things I can't afford.
I intended to write a check when I bought my last new bike. The dealers often get a kickback on the financing so will often give you a little better deal on your purchase. The dealer offered me a deal on the extended warranty if I took the 0% financing, with no penalty for early pay off. I kept my cash in a money making account for a few months, but finally payed it off when I got tired of making the payments online.

C

·
0 Posts
I have only owned three bikes and all of them I purchased new. If I purchase a Goldwing, I will either have to buy a used one or get financing for a new one which I prefer not to do with bikes. I would rather just pay cash and be done with it. Hard for me to do that with a Goldwing though, they cost a bit too much if I purchase a new one.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I have only owned three bikes and all of them I purchased new. If I purchase a Goldwing, I will either have to buy a used one or get financing for a new one which I prefer not to do with bikes. I would rather just pay cash and be done with it. Hard for me to do that with a Goldwing though, they cost a bit too much if I purchase a new one.
For a new Goldwing, it's not called a loan, it's called a mortgage.

C

·
0 Posts
Your right about that, especially if you get all the bells and whistles. Its difficult to justify the cost of a new Goldwing when I could purchase a brand new truck for around the same price.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts