Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have many clues and need some advice from those with experience.
I bought a used 1983 Honda Nighthawk 750 (4 cyl). It was running when I bought it but maybe not running well.
1. It had a clogged after-market fuel line filter, wouldn't run
2. Removed fuel filter and it ran but idled erratic.
3. Set pilot screws on carb to nominal setting from shop book - had to make a huge adjustment as they were out very far (ard 4 turns or more!) One carb screw seemed stuck and binded made squeeking noises when turning. I think these are the only pilots adjustable from the outside and guess they are for idle but do not know?
4. Bike idled much better but noticed one exhaust pipe was cold -its the cylinder corresponding to the carb with the sticky pilot screw.
So I know I have to clean the carbs and maybe have a damaged one. One major question is do you think the previous owner had the pilots adjusted out as a quick fix to make the one cylinder fire? I brought the bike to my apartment and plan to take the entire carb block off and work on it inside.
Advice?

·
10,756 Posts
What clogged the filter? Was it from old bad gas or debris? That will give you a idea of what is in the carb. Also either way the entire fuel system will need a clean too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
http://nighthawk-forums.com/index.php will have all the assistance you need to make sure your NH will give you great rides... In combination with this website... you will get all the help you need to get it running right.

Do a forum search for a "how to" using Pine Sol... an overnight soak it will clean your carb's with out a lot of effort on your part.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Clogged fuel filter

@Badlands: The fuel filter was orange plastic with what I believe was pleated cardboard inside and I suspect it was broken down paper that caused the fuel delivery problem. So you suggest that I clean not only the carbs but also the tank and lines. Are there any other components in the fuel delivery system?

@Biometrics: Thank you very much for the link and I will look up about using Pinesol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just took off the carb block. It only took about an hour. The hardest part was getting the darn throttle and choke cables off. I might need to get new cables cause I messed with them pretty good. Now should I clean them as a block or take them apart. I am new but I think its best to take everything I can apart and clean it good. So does Pine Sol actually work better than carb cleaner?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks biometrics, it seems like a great way to clean the nooks and crannies of the outside but whats your oppinion on how well it would clean the little orifices and jets etc.? I'm thinking pinesol soak for the outside and then filling the cavities with carb cleaner after.

·
Registered
54 Posts
After the Pine Sol soak, Use thin wires to make sure that all internal orifices have been cleaened out and then use the carb cleaner to wash out any residue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts