Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've not ridden in a little over a decade (sold all my bikes when moving). I'm looking to get a bike again but might not have the budget for a new one.

So...can anyone suggest a used naked bike that would run from 2-4k?

If I were to buy new...I guess my order on looks/function would roughly be:

• MV Agusta Brutale 675
  • Ducati Monster 1200S
  • Ducati Streetfighter 848
  • Yamaha FZ-07 (best option for my $$$ if I were buying new I guess)
  • Suzuki SV650
  • Triumph Street Triple R (don't like the look of this types of naked bike)
Anything you can suggest that is older but might look/ride similar?

I'm trying to find exactly how to determine the riding position (via specs?) I had on an old Yamaha Seca II. It was such a simple, plain bike but it had the perfect riding position for me.

Any help is appreciated.

I assume Craig's List followed by Cycle Trader is the best way to find used bikes in my area? (Los Angeles)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Welcome from Seattle :)

I have an SV650S. I believe the naked version has more upright bars, but l am not sure how much less aggressive they are. I am actually planning to sell my bike because l want something that sits up and is more comfy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome from Seattle :)

I have an SV650S. I believe the naked version has more upright bars, but l am not sure how much less aggressive they are. I am actually planning to sell my bike because l want something that sits up and is more comfy

Thanks for the reply. I guess the main difference between the S and regular is quarter fairing and? Some posts seem to indicate slightly more forward seating position because of the peg position, but others discount it.

Given that I can find some 6-9 years old it seems, I guess they should definitely be in my price range. I wish I could find something only 3-5 years old, but likely not in my ranger unless desperate to get rid of the bike.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I believe that the naked version has a handlebar riser as opposed to clip ons. I discovered this when l was looking for a riser for my bike; some guys modify the S model with the triple clamp from a naked model.

As far as the rest of the bike is concerned, it is super fun to ride. There is great power throughout, but it is not overwhelming. It handles like a dream. It is great around town; l am having a hard time letting it go because it is such a great little commuter. Really, the only thing l don't like about it is the seating position. If the naked one is comfy, then it could be what you are looking for. It gets me 45 mpg.

Mine is an '04, l bought it last Fall with only 5k miles on it for $3000. The naked ones go for about $500 less in Seattle. The hardest part will be finding one that has never been dropped; l found them to be hard to come by. I looked for several weeks before l found this one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A good used Honda Nighthawk 750 should run 2-3k. They made them until 2003, but don't let age discourage you, they last forever. I bought one for my re-entry bike and I still ride it. It's 20 years old and I've had it for 9 years. Just change the oil and keep the chain clean and lubed and it will run forever.

·
Premium Member
6,547 Posts
Naked

I used to own an SV650. I do own an XS400 Seca. The Suzuki is more of a sport bike riding position but not extreme. As Hawk said about changing the top triple tree if you want higher bars. With a Seca type bike you can find a variety of bars to fit. Mine are fairly low and forward compared to most others, but the position is still fairly upright and comfortable.
The seat height and bar position, will have a lot to do with your height and preference. I put a small bar mount window on my naked bikes. They create some buffeting but do the job.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is your age? Monster 1200 insurance will run you 3x the cost of the SV from my personal experience.
I'm 45. I didn't think the insurance would have much of a variance, especially for a used bike. But good point, something I should look into ahead of time.

·
6,503 Posts
A well built, proven and bullet proof UJM bike is the Suzuki 1200 or 1250 Bandit and the used price is attractive.

I had a new 1997 1200S bandit, the "S" apparently meant ABS and it was a fantastic bike especially after I put a Yoshimura slip-on on it.

Up until that time, it was the fastest bike I had owned, even faster than my new 1989 Yamaha V-max, especially from say around 80mph to 150 which was as fast as I ever rode it.

Sam:coffeescreen:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts