Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm beginning to look around for my first motorcycle. I've read posts but I thought I'd throw in my own two cents.

For starters I'm a 6'3'' man who weighs 320lbs. I also have short legs for my size with a 30'' inseam on my suits and my head is too big for 5XL HJCs. Yeah, I'm kinda big.

I rode dirt bikes when I was a kid but that was a long time ago so I'll be taking MSF classes and practicing on deserted roads to improve my skills. Any bike I buy will be used and I know people who can help make sure I pick a good one. I will be mainly riding on long deserted roads in desert conditions but I will be going up and down passes too so a bit of power would be useful.

Initially I became interested in Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Customs as I've read that they are reliable and pretty inexpensive, but I've always liked BMWs with horizontally opposed engines. Friends have had them and I've always liked them. Are there any models that might work for someone like me?

I know I will just have to go to a big city and hit a bunch of dealers to see which ones fit my frame, but are there any suggestions for good starter bikes for someone my size who's starting from scratch. I'd be especially interested in the BMWs and any comments regarding reliable safe bikes for big first-timers.

Thanks!

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
If you like boxers, the BMW R1200R might be an okay bike for you. I normally wouldn't recommend a 1200cc bike to a new rider, but since you're a big guy, I think it would be okay. At only about 500 pounds wet, the R1200R bike is light for a 1200cc bike. Plus the weight is very low so it feels even lighter.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
And the fact you have ridden dirt bikes means you should have an idea about throttle control. So I agree a larger bike won't be as bad as a complete noob. But even a Boxer can get away from you so caution is in order.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts