Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a used dual XR650L Dual Sport bike for 3999. It's from a dealer so I trust the dealer more that it isn't all messed up than if I would buy it from a random dude on the street.

Air-cooled, dry-sump, 1-cylinder, 4-stroke, SOHC, 4-valve RFVC, 12,146 mi., 324 lbs

Lowered with ball bearing. Slip-on pipe. Uni air mod filter. 4.7 gas tank. Current registration. Clean title.

Worth 4 grand? I'm going to try and go in and buy it with cash on the spot, so should there be some wiggle room to get a better deal?

(first time buyer by the way. Looking to ride mostly on asphalt for work for 30 minutes a day, and in the mountainside dirt trails every week or so. Will use the freeway every once in awhile. Looking for best deal, bike is going to be my starter.)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
If this is your first bike,why the heck are you so interested? I know full well how a bike can grab you but you are setting yourself up to be blinded by the dealer. Maybe it is your perfect bike, but maybe not. What other bikes have you explored and what would they cost you? I am not trying to let the air out of your balloon but please consider what you are doing. If you really love the bike and it is the best possible value, go for it. If you are settling for this bike please ask yourself why. If you can answer that question maybe that will tell you where to look next.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Full retail value is about $3500 in excellent condition. I think they have some room to move down on the price a bit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If this is your first bike,why the heck are you so interested? I know full well how a bike can grab you but you are setting yourself up to be blinded by the dealer. Maybe it is your perfect bike, but maybe not. What other bikes have you explored and what would they cost you? I am not trying to let the air out of your balloon but please consider what you are doing. If you really love the bike and it is the best possible value, go for it. If you are settling for this bike please ask yourself why. If you can answer that question maybe that will tell you where to look next.

I've looked at cruisers and duel sports. 250 cruisers are extremely small and cramped for me. I am 5'11 with a 33 inseam and I feel like a clown on the 250 cruisers. Mostly everything else that I can find from dealers are about 4 grand or more for anything manageable.

I'm going with a 650 duel sport instead until I can get enough experience to buy a Thruxton. I'm going with the 650s because the 250s just don't have enough power for me. If I'm going to be doing freeway riding every-once in awhile I need a bike that could at least get to 75 mph, like this bike. In addition to that I also live in the desert and I have always wanted to hit up some of the trails that are basically directly behind my house.

Ultimately it seems a 650 dual sport motorcycle is my best bet for a starter bike. 4 grand seemed like too much to me though. I mean, is there anyway I can buy the retail version of the bike directly from a Honda dealer? It seems the only bikes they have stocked are their 2013 and 2014 bikes, which run for like 6-7 grand at the least, which is just too much for a starter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Full retail value is about $3500 in excellent condition. I think they have some room to move down on the price a bit.
Does Honda still sell these bikes? Not the newer editions (IE: 2013-2014) but the older 2007 model. How'd you find out that the full retail value is at about 3500 in excellent condition?

·
American Legion Rider
20,002 Posts
This would be your first bike and you only want it because it will do 75mph on the freeway??? I hope that works out for you. So what if you feel you look funny on a 250? You would be far better off learning than flying and dieing. Have you at least taken a basic rider course? I don't know about the 650 you are looking at but a Suzuki DRZ400 is snappy enough to pop a wheelie if you blow it. Not only is the price here a little high, I highly suggest you reconsider what you want for a first bike. Unless you can walk on water, that first bike needs to be something that doesn't have the ability to get away on you. Learn first then go out on the freeway. Your life though. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Does Honda still sell these bikes? Not the newer editions (IE: 2013-2014) but the older 2007 model. How'd you find out that the full retail value is at about 3500 in excellent condition?
I doubt you will find a new 2007 model at any dealership. They rarely hang on to new stock past the previous model year. The oldest model you are likely to find new is a 2013. A dealer may stock a used one.

You can look up motorcycle values at Kelley Blue Book or NADA. Used prices aren't set in stone and are just an estimate. If the demand for a certain model is high in an area, a dealer will likely ask more for it. If they have it sitting around for a while, they may lower the price to make room for different stock.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
This would be your first bike and you only want it because it will do 75mph on the freeway??? I hope that works out for you. So what if you feel you look funny on a 250? You would be far better off learning than flying and dieing. Have you at least taken a basic rider course? I don't know about the 650 you are looking at but a Suzuki DRZ400 is snappy enough to pop a wheelie if you blow it. Not only is the price here a little high, I highly suggest you reconsider what you want for a first bike. Unless you can walk on water, that first bike needs to be something that doesn't have the ability to get away on you. Learn first then go out on the freeway. Your life though. Good luck.
I respect your opinion, but you're not understanding my intentions.

Perhaps I should clarify. I have no vehicle. My car is going away, and I will have absolutely no vehicle at all aside from whatever it is I buy. I have made the decision to buy a motorcycle based on a variety of factors, mostly because it is economical, but also because it's something I've wanted to do since I was 10 or 12 and would admire my grandfather's stories about him and his bike.

So jumping on the freeway isn't some irrelevant unimportant thing, it's my only way of getting to my family on the weekends or on my days off of work. I never said that I would jump on the freeway right away. When I got my drivers license with a car I didn't jump on right away, but I also didn't start off on an extremely wimpy car either. I practiced on the streets and then when I felt comfortable enough I drove on the freeways. I took baby steps.

This motorcycle isn't going to be tossed away in 6 months, this has to last me more than a year. I'm not retired, I'm not living out of anyone's pocketbook. I have a minimum wage job and I can't afford to waste thousands of dollars every 6 months to go from a 250 to a 400. The 650 has enough power to LAST me.

Although I've never ridden before I think it's safe to assume that power works in much of the same way, in that you have to figure out through practice and experience how much pressure to apply when accelerating. Muscle memory, right?

Also, from internet searchers (I know, on the internet so it must be true) the 650 is supposedly a great first bike to start out on.

As for the fact that I'm simply too big for the average 250 cruisers out there, comfort is something any rider should seek out when looking for a motorcycle. If you're not only uncomfortable in how you look to everyone else, but also just flat out uncomfortable on the bike-- what's the purpose of the motorcycle?

I respect your opinion, but I don't remember asking anyone for a lecture. I get enough of it from my friends and family when I tell them that I'm going to ride a motorcycle, I didn't expect it from anyone here. Was just wondering if I was getting a bad deal is all, thanks to everyone who answered my question. I may go to the dealer on Tuesday and see if I can get the price down. If not, I'll look for a better deal somewhere else.

:71baldboy:

·
American Legion Rider
20,002 Posts
I respect your opinion, but you're not understanding my intentions.

Perhaps I should clarify. I have no vehicle. My car is going away, and I will have absolutely no vehicle at all aside from whatever it is I buy. I have made the decision to buy a motorcycle based on a variety of factors, mostly because it is economical, but also because it's something I've wanted to do since I was 10 or 12 and would admire my grandfather's stories about him and his bike.

So jumping on the freeway isn't some irrelevant unimportant thing, it's my only way of getting to my family on the weekends or on my days off of work. I never said that I would jump on the freeway right away. When I got my drivers license with a car I didn't jump on right away, but I also didn't start off on an extremely wimpy car either. I practiced on the streets and then when I felt comfortable enough I drove on the freeways. I took baby steps.

This motorcycle isn't going to be tossed away in 6 months, this has to last me more than a year. I'm not retired, I'm not living out of anyone's pocketbook. I have a minimum wage job and I can't afford to waste thousands of dollars every 6 months to go from a 250 to a 400. The 650 has enough power to LAST me.

Although I've never ridden before I think it's safe to assume that power works in much of the same way, in that you have to figure out through practice and experience how much pressure to apply when accelerating. Muscle memory, right?

Also, from internet searchers (I know, on the internet so it must be true) the 650 is supposedly a great first bike to start out on.

As for the fact that I'm simply too big for the average 250 cruisers out there, comfort is something any rider should seek out when looking for a motorcycle. If you're not only uncomfortable in how you look to everyone else, but also just flat out uncomfortable on the bike-- what's the purpose of the motorcycle?

I respect your opinion, but I don't remember asking anyone for a lecture. I get enough of it from my friends and family when I tell them that I'm going to ride a motorcycle, I didn't expect it from anyone here. Was just wondering if I was getting a bad deal is all, thanks to everyone who answered my question. I may go to the dealer on Tuesday and see if I can get the price down. If not, I'll look for a better deal somewhere else.

:71baldboy:
In case you had not noticed, most of us make posts and suggestions based on experience that help keep people as safe as possible. You apparently know better so good luck with that.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
That 650 is a thumper and won't produce an unmanageable amount of horsepower. I'd say they make decent motorcycles to learn on as long as the rider is tall enough to reach the ground.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In case you had not noticed, most of us make posts and suggestions based on experience that help keep people as safe as possible. You apparently know better so good luck with that.

I understand, your hostile tone however is unwelcome.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That 650 is a thumper and won't produce an unmanageable amount of horsepower. I'd say they make decent motorcycles to learn on as long as the rider is tall enough to reach the ground.
I appreciate the help. I got in contact with the dealer, and they are willing to sell for 3600. Still debating, as I started looking into a cheaper dual sport.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Just FWIW, we see it a lot on here, where a guy has never really ridden, but he has all the answers and everyone's suggestions are incorrect. They aren't really asking our opinions in hopes of learning something, but rather in hopes of us reinforcing whatever plan it is that they have in mind. I can't say whether or not this applies to you, just that this comes our way regularly, and when this happens, our advice appears to be worthless because the person generally has their mind made up long before they get here.

In my opinion, the 650 you are talking about is too much bike for you to really enjoy. I am 6'3" and 240. I have ridden a lot in the dirt. That bike is a lot of bike to handle on a trail. I think you would have a lot more fun on a trail with the DRZ400 (which is, l have noticed, the overwhelming favorite as far as DP bikes go on this site) which is roughly 30 pounds lighter but still has all the power you could ever want unless you are a seriously competitive rider. Seat height is roughly the same.

On the road, neither is really going to be a great bike that you would want to spend any great length of time on, but either would be serviceable and dependable. The extra power you get from the 650 would not, IMO, make up for the burden of the extra weight on the trail. I doubt you would see a significant difference in the comfortable cruising speed of either one. If you wanted more top speed out of the DRZ you could always gear it up a tooth or two. 1st gear is ridiculously low on those bikes anyway. I always geared my dirt bikes up one tooth, which made 1st gear more usable and 2nd a little faster. Just options to consider. I do wish you well my friend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts