Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I was wondering what the general consensus on road racing, street riding, and general use was for neck support braces.

An example is the Leatt STX Road Neck Brace offered through Rev'zilla. State of the art tech protecting your neck from compression, lateral flexion, etc.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/leatt-stx-road-neck-brace

Is this something any of you guys have bought, would consider buying, or just think is plain silly?

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
Brace

It is ugly too.

Rodney Dangerfield went to the doctor, the doctor said, you are not in very good shape. Rodney said, I want a second opinion. The doctor said, your ugly too.

Some guys are built like pretzels and break easily, others are not.
I think a neck brace would be restrictive for your movements. looking over your shoulder when lane changing could be a problem. Swap lanes in front of a semi, you will need more than a neck brace.

I can not think of any crashes at the track, where the neck brace would have helped.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha! I love your responses. I am looking more from the Attgatt guys... And I dont plan on RACING on the street, this is one of those what if items (what if you slide into a curb head first...!).

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
Clyde the slide.

Ha! I love your responses. I am looking more from the Attgatt guys... And I dont plan on RACING on the street, this is one of those what if items (what if you slide into a curb head first...!).
If you do that without a helmet, and you do not lift your head, you may die.
Some folks freeze when something goes wrong. That is a big problem. Going too fast too soon, is often the cause. Knowing the correct, or reasonably correct response to a problem, is what you are striving for. Knowing what is happening during the crash is also what you are striving for. If you do that, you will lift your head. But, you would not have crashed into the curb in the first place.
You will be looking for obstacles on the outside of a corner and thinking, I might hit that pole, or curb, if I crash here. Maybe I should be careful.

Who are the Attgatt guys?

Unkle Crusty*

·
American Legion Rider
21,101 Posts
I'm not so sure you want to jump on the band wagon for every little safety feature someone has dreamed up. Interestingly enough, the broken vertebrae I received in my crash was directly related to wearing a helmet. So just what other damage might having stiff metal hanging around your neck cause in a real crash?

Will I stop wearing a helmet? Nope. After being unconscious for 45 minutes I highly suspect being without one would have been much worse. There's risk in everything. You have to pick and choose which ones you can live with.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had one friend use it for our trip to and in Germany, he rides it like he stole it and also races at the circuit. I suppose its an added safety measure if you fear becomming a vegetable in a crash.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Personally I don't think its silly for street or track. My only thought is that it may feel more restrictive than you think and that would be a problem. I wear a full 2-piece, gloves, race boots and helmet on the street when I ride. I don't think I would go for one personally. But, the point is, if it makes you feel better then go for it. Personally I don't care 1 bit what others think when it comes to my safety. If you get one I'd like to see you post a review on it.

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
Always exciting to bring up an old post.
An important thing missing from the OP is what style of bike he rides.
Farinstinse: If he or she is sitting straight up, then a brace would not be too much in the way.
If H or S was on a sport bike, then the ability to look ahead, would be restricted by any bunched up anything, at the base of the neck, at the rear.
Some rain jackets have a rolled up hood hiding under the collar. That is too restrictive for bending your head up, on a sport bike.
I do not know if the OP is still about. Often folks leave when they do not hear what the want to hear. As in a contrary opinion.
Whereas I expect contrary and differing opinions all the time.

Unkle Krusty

·
American Legion Rider
21,101 Posts
Always exciting to bring up an old post.
An important thing missing from the OP is what style of bike he rides.
Farinstinse: If he or she is sitting straight up, then a brace would not be too much in the way.
If H or S was on a sport bike, then the ability to look ahead, would be restricted by any bunched up anything, at the base of the neck, at the rear.
Some rain jackets have a rolled up hood hiding under the collar. That is too restrictive for bending your head up, on a sport bike.
I do not know if the OP is still about. Often folks leave when they do not hear what the want to hear. As in a contrary opinion.
Whereas I expect contrary and differing opinions all the time.

Unkle Krusty
I noticed it was a revived thread and wasn't even going to look but all the responses made me look and amazingly I already had an opinion. It didn't change.:angel:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm all for safety but you cannot be 100% save. I would rather use one of the Airbag jackets/vests than a neck support. I would expect more accidents with a cross bike ging cross country than on a road that this would be really useful.

·
Banned
107 Posts
I want some more opinions :).
I like how this guy didn't get the opinions he wanted, so he asks for more.

I'm all for safety, but there comes a point that when you're so damn scared to ride without being completely covered from head to toe in bubble wrap and kevlar, that you just need to park it and stay home. Because all you're gonna do is make my insurance rates go up when you crash from being so overly cautious that you can't relax and ride.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts