Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had USAA (really it's Progressive) insurance on my bike for the last couple months. It's about $1,500/year.

On a whim this evening, I got a quote from Geico for similar, but not identical coverage for $533/year.

WTH?? Thought USAA was supposed to be providing discounted rates. Anyone else seeing such a drastic difference between the two?

BTW, I have a clean record, no tickets or accidents.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
I just got a quote from Geico for 3 cars, over 800 dollars cheaper per year.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
You have to check every single year. They change back and forth all the time. I won't switch every year but I do switch if the difference is crazy. I think they bank on you not checking and slowly increase the rates yearly until it's huge. I actually end up switching about every 3 years it seems. And of course with any new bike I check as well. No one company gets me for very long.

·
8,599 Posts
I have always had State Farm: Full coverage on anything and everything, for over 50 years. Personal, Business, Home and farm and Vehicles.

I just asked my wife what the rates are on the new Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster and she told me $35 per month, same as on my 650 Burgman's and my recently departed 2012 Goldwing.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I've had USAA (really it's Progressive) insurance on my bike for the last couple months. It's about $1,500/year.

On a whim this evening, I got a quote from Geico for similar, but not identical coverage for $533/year.

WTH?? Thought USAA was supposed to be providing discounted rates. Anyone else seeing such a drastic difference between the two?

BTW, I have a clean record, no accidents.
Based on the facts you show, unless you are under 25 and riding a Race Bike???:confused:
$1500 a year makes no sense at all. I would ask them WHY...the rates are that? Could be they have you confused with another driver similar name who has a bad record or something?? Just seems crazy to me!! I had been spoiled by the rate with Safeco on my Vintage 900 motorcycle, for Liability it costs $97 a year! then I learned there are numerous factors that influence the rate ,ex. over 900 CC, Sport/Race Bike, replacement value etc. I have shopped and shopped for a better rate on my full coverage, financed 2003 Harley Heritage...I pay around $1000 a year, .my..Agent assures me the massive CC's of the bike and replacement value are whats the penalty??:confused:..it seems like the insurance company's all "Collude" or something anyway! :mad:Not more than $15 difference I can find from different company's when searching for quotes on the Harley:mad: we have our house and cars ,and truck insured with Safeco , so we get a discount for cages!! Interesting side note , car insurance on all the vehicles went down substantially when we consolidated all the policys House,Car's truck and motorcycles under same company, but NO MOTORCYCLE DISCOUNT!:mad: Only the Cages! I am 65years old, no DUI's ever, No ......well.....one speeding ticket on the Interstate in a car 2 years ago, it was for doing 79 mph in a 70mph zone on I-81....maybe when that ticket comes off my record in another year??:confused::confused:
Oh well! Sorry for rambling on!! I share your frustration,. as I am sure many others do!:(!
Regards
Ed

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have always had State Farm: Full coverage on anything and everything, for over 50 years. Personal, Business, Home and farm and Vehicles.

I just asked my wife what the rates are on the new Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster and she told me $35 per month, same as on my 650 Burgman's and my recently departed 2012 Goldwing.

Sam:biggrin:
Same here. I've compared around periodically and any difference I saw wasn't worth doing. The only time I ever had a claim, when I killed my Concours back in May of 2014, they paid off quick and fair.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I've been a USAA member for close to 50 years, primarily for auto insurance but I also have my homeowners with them. They are somewhat high for auto and homeowners, but their service and reliability have been outstanding. More than once over the years I have had a car totaled and they paid me well over Kelly Blue Book value, and without any hassle whatsoever. Similar with my homeowners. Recently I had a sump pump failure which ended up flooding my lower level. I sent them two cell phone photos of the damage and they sent me a check for $10,000 (the max on this coverage) immediately. You can't ask for better than that.

On my motorcycle I use Progressive, but I go through USAA. When I changed from directly with Progressive to going through USAA my annual premium DROPPED by a small amount. This year, before renewing for my 2013 Thunderbird at $513 for the year, I got a quote from GEICO, State Farm, Nationwide and Dairyland. GEICO and State Farm were higher. Nationwide and Dairyland were within $10 of what Progressive was charging so I stayed with Progressive.

I'll add that even though I ride a cruiser, and have had only one motorcycle claim in my entire life (15 years ago when I used Dairyland), my rate jumped from $300 to $500 when I went from an engine of 865cc to my present 1597cc. I'm not sure why a bigger engine costs more to insure other than the total cost of the bike was higher than was my last bike.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
I have USAA insurance, and like you my bike insurance is sub'd out to Progressive. Has been for 10 years now. I always thought I was getting a good rate. But after your post I thought I better check. Insurance rates vary widely based on various circumstances, and it looks like you and me are much different for some reason.

I have 4 motorcycles insured right now. '07 Ultra Glide, '06 Sportster 1200, '76 Honda CB750, '94 XT350 dual sport.

Current Progressive yearly rate: $456
Current Geico rate using same terms: $441

That $15 difference is not enough to make me switch, since being with Progressive for this amount of time, they will wave my deductible should I get into an accident.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,360 Posts
Insurance rates today are a real black box - you just never know what the box will spit out at you so it pays to look around. USAA is a great company for active military who need the extra services they offer. They are a good company and people are typically happy with them but rate are rates and if you don't need USAA there are often better deal

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I check every time I need to renew. Right now I have Geico but in recent years I have also found it better to go to Progressive sometimes. The only thing I have seen about "loyalty programs" is that they are designed to see if you will be loyal to a company no matter what they charge. Every year my loyalty is available to the low bidder for identical coverage. I am not interested in any package that does not meet my needs so I always specify exactly what I want before I ask anyone for a price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts