Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Look at the >.60/gallon difference between San Juan County, NM (upper left hand corner, medium green) and adjacent La Plata County, CO. (orange)

I was in both counties today.

Of course, when you ride a 60mpg+ scooter, or a 50mph Honda Hybrid, or 55mpg Prius.... WHO REALLY CARES!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Good. Now all the prices that went up "because gas went up" will go back down. Free motorcycles for everybody!

I mean, while I'm fantasizing.

Do you drive a hybrid? We have a Prius. It does everything Toyota advertises. It's a nice car with the benefit of 55+ mpg.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Do you drive a hybrid? We have a Prius.
I bought a Honda CRZ sports/hybrid in anticipation of $8 gas. Bad call on THAT but I really enjoy driving it. It's got a sports/normal/econ button that REALLY works. And a 9000 redline.

Downside: Horrendous blind spots because of the fastback design just like the Prius. Have very nearly merged into SEVERAL cars who apparently don't understand the significance of a turn signal. Or care.

Taxi company here in Phoenix mounts oversize mirrors on their Prius fleet to try and mitigate this SAME problem. REAL solution would be quarter-view cameras & proximity warning system...

The CRZ is one of the few hybrids offered with a stick shift. You actually have to learn how to utilize the hybrid system, it's not all computer-controlled and automated with a CVT like the Prius. Took me a month or so to be able to achieve the MPG's it's capable of. Knowing when and when not to regen brake, what gear to use braking, the idle engine cutoff, etc.

And even harder to force myself to LUG a small, high-revving motor the way Honda wants you to, per the dashboard up/downshift indicator. 1000 rpms in 5th gear at 60 mph, really? REALLY? Yup! CRZ has a 6 speed btw.

At 72-73 mph I typically average 39 mpg traveling LONG distances across the country. Even better, LOTS better if I slow down to 65, 62 etc. Even at 73 I start out in the morning and don't have to fill up till well into the afternoon. Amazing.

The wise ones, they're buying Prius & Honda hybrids RIGHT NOW while the demand is ultra low, and prices have plummeted. Gas will go back up. We ALL know that. Probably right after the election.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Yup... I knew it... Hawaii (and Alaska) are not on that map. That is a map of the 48 CONTINENTAL States. C'mon people, THERE ARE 2 OTHERS STATES!!!....

Um... so sorry... didn't mean to get emotional. But for real, gas prices in Hawaii range from $3.86 on up to $5.05 (outer Islands).

Yeah, I get it... we don't ride as far as the mainland folks. I guess it's just one of the costs of living in Paradise. I'm just thankful that they came down recently!!! Last month the cheapest was $4.26.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tell me something, Deadeye...

Why is EVERYONE I meet, hear about, or see on TV from Hawaii say they're from "The Big Island"

Nobody wants to admit they're from the "Little Bitty Island?"

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Tell me something, Deadeye...

Why is EVERYONE I meet, hear about, or see on TV from Hawaii say they're from "The Big Island"

Nobody wants to admit they're from the "Little Bitty Island?"
That would be cuz the military uses the "Little Bitty Island" for target practice, so most folks don't want to live there. :biggrin:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Did I imagine I posted here again? Oh well.

The split rear glass, bifurcated they call it, is weird. We've played with the mirrors enough that we only have small mirror blind spots, just past the rear corners. If we turn our heads to look, it's no problem.

The Prius gets 55+ mpg per tank. It does great on the interstate. We've taken some day long drives in it. Comfy. The only time I use Power mode is every now and then to blast into traffic from an on ramp. I don't think my wife uses it at all.

There is an ever so slight lag, less than one second, when taking off fast when the gas engine has turned off. It still gets off the line quick enough. It'll chirp tires.

The solar roof with exhaust fan does take the blast furnace effect out of the cabin when the car has sat in a parking lot all day during the summer.

My only complaints are the front door arm rests. They're too low for my liking, and the plastic is thin. I've felt it give under my arm.

No mechanical issues.

C

·
0 Posts
Did I imagine I posted here again? Oh well.

The split rear glass, bifurcated they call it, is weird. We've played with the mirrors enough that we only have small mirror blind spots, just past the rear corners. If we turn our heads to look, it's no problem.

The Prius gets 55+ mpg per tank. It does great on the interstate. We've taken some day long drives in it. Comfy. The only time I use Power mode is every now and then to blast into traffic from an on ramp. I don't think my wife uses it at all.

There is an ever so slight lag, less than one second, when taking off fast when the gas engine has turned off. It still gets off the line quick enough. It'll chirp tires.

The solar roof with exhaust fan does take the blast furnace effect out of the cabin when the car has sat in a parking lot all day during the summer.

My only complaints are the front door arm rests. They're too low for my liking, and the plastic is thin. I've felt it give under my arm.

No mechanical issues.
I am almost ashamed to say we owned a 2010 Honda Civic Hybrid (wife wanted it) for a few years and got ride of it.

My wife loved the car. I will admit I liked it also because you could give it a verbal commands and then it would execute your command. The only real issue was driving in the Minnesota snow. The car was comfortable and a pleasure to drive.

I researched (because my wife wanted me too) the Prius and the Honda Civic. Both had good ratings for reliability. The Prius however, was better then the Civic for gas mileage. As you said the Prius gets about 55 MPG and the Civic got around 47 MPG. What led to my decision on the Honda Civic was the ratings were better for reliability with the Civic. Furthermore, the batteries were good for eight to ten years. We decided however, to get rid of it because it just could not handle the snow. We winded up at the Jeep dealer and talked my wife in to a Jeep Liberty.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Feel sorry for us on the other side of the pond! $7.35/gal. And that's down from $8.25/gal this time last year!

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Yup... I knew it... Hawaii (and Alaska) are not on that map. That is a map of the 48 CONTINENTAL States. C'mon people, THERE ARE 2 OTHERS STATES!!!....

Um... so sorry... didn't mean to get emotional. But for real, gas prices in Hawaii range from $3.86 on up to $5.05 (outer Islands).

Yeah, I get it... we don't ride as far as the mainland folks. I guess it's just one of the costs of living in Paradise. I'm just thankful that they came down recently!!! Last month the cheapest was $4.26.
Makes me wonder.........do ALL folks in Hawaii feel like second rate citizens, or just YOU (lol)!?

Last night the news (CBS) said gas prices were back on the rise!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
304 Posts
Good. Now all the prices that went up "because gas went up" will go back down. Free motorcycles for everybody!

I mean, while I'm fantasizing.

Do you drive a hybrid? We have a Prius. It does everything Toyota advertises. It's a nice car with the benefit of 55+ mpg.
I drive a Prius, but not getting the 55 though. Too much stop and go and uphill driving. I do like paying 25-30 to fill it up and it gets me through the week

·
Registered
304 Posts
Meanwhile here in Pa they added a 10 cent increase in tax while most of the nations prices are going down more and more.

·
6,509 Posts
This may get your dandruff up: I was listening to CNN (Communist Network Nation) the other day and a Prominent LIBERAL talking head stated that the Leftist liberal Senators were discussing raising the Federal gas tax all across the United States and their ill-founded, tax and spend logic was that; since gas prices are so low now the SHEEPLE won't care or hardly notice.

Folks, please watch these self-serving politicians that we elect (Supposedly) or they will take everything that we work for for their selfish agendas.

I heard that the Missouri Demoncrat, Gov Nixon was trying hard to add a new 50 cent per gallon tax, with the same logic mentioned above.

We are at $1.70 per gallon now for unleaded 87 octane.

I am glad that I am old and won't be here to see this country implode and take all of North America and the world with it. I pray for our Children and Grandkids, etc, that they will weather the coming Apocalypse.

Sam:coffeescreen:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts