Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi people. Last night some little f*cks tried to steal my bike. They snapped the wires going into the ignition and tried to wire it but got nowhere.
However..... ive used connectors to connect the 4 wires back up, Red Green Black and black with white stripe back together but there are problems. Although i can push start the bike, it wont start otherwise and none of the electrics work (it's an electric start, no kick). Once the bike is going the lights work but the horn and indicators still won't and now the bike is idling at 4000rpm. Can anyone help?
Is it just fuses or do i need to replace all the electrics?
I'm fairly handy, but no mechanic so if someone can help could you use laymans terms if poss.
I really need this bike running as i work out in the countryside with no public transport and it's my only means of commuting.
Thanks in advance.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
My guess is that if you haven't yet checked the fuses, that's where you'll find the problem. Probably shorted when wires were cut.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers man, funny fuses for a 6 year old bike. 2 glass ones for everything running straight from the battery positive and negative. thought they stopped using them 30 years ago. battery is probs flat now but again will jump start. strange though that the indicators work now but only with the lights switched on. I'll take it for a run and hope for the best see if it's just the battery.

Thanks people!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
urghhh, nope. Thought it might be the actual ignition (damaged when they tries to rob it) but it wont jumpstart if it's switched off and also it cuts the engine when switched off, so it's not that. Can't find my electric meter, but is it possible that the battery has been killed?
by deduction it's either that, or starter relay, as there's no power whatsoever going to electric speedo, lights, horn, indicators when bike isn't running??

p.s found this website for free service manuals
carlsalter.com/all-motorcycle-manuals.asp
pretty much every bike on there.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
I would find a meter and check the battery before going any further. I would also double check every fuse again.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
If your battery and fuses check out, then I would go ahead and get a new ignition w/keys off Ebay for $16 shipped. Since yours is damaged anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
found the problem. when they cut the wires they pulled the red wire off the ignition. It looks like a case of soldering it back on. I cant see clearly without taking the whole of the front of the bike apart but it looks like it just needs soldering to a point on the bottom, does this sound right. The rest of the ignition is intact and undamaged

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It's great when the solution is a simple one.
would that be right, that if i look up under the headlight fairing i can see the base of the ignition and there's 4 contact points, or are these holes in a plate and the contacts are up inside the ignition? (the plastic cap underneath covering the base of the ignition is already off) i've looked at taking the fairing off but there's so many screws and bolts in there that are at at funny angles and i cant get a screwdriver or wrench in them that i'd rather squeeze up through it all with a soldering iron than take it all off. Same goes for taking the ignition out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts