Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the 4th I broke down one mile from home. Had the bike off the main Hwy and tried to figure out why did it just shut down? This was around 3:30 pm. hotter than all get out. Called my wife with the Sheriffs phone so she could come and maybe give the bike a jump? That didn't work. Now mind you I didn't get home until 9:30pm. There were at least 20 to 25 Bikers that seen me off the road and didn't bother to stop just kept on rolling. Around 7 o'clock a young lad by the name of Drew on his bike stopped to give me a hand. He told me to go sit in the car and cool down. You see I'm 80 and not a big man at all. He told me not to worry he would stay with me til he could get it going. If it weren't for this lad, I was losing all respect for the bikers code and those that didn't give a rats ass if I melted into the pavement. Long story short, Holiday all shops closed for the rest of the week except one towing service who said they would have to rent a tower bar for the bike to the tune or $195 and get me home. I was one mile from home and didn't have that kind of money. I barely can afford the bike I got! with all the cost for registration, plates, transfer of title etc. The bike is still not home because all the folks I know were out of town so I was screwed. One of my friends just called and said he would help me get it home tomorrow. Thank you Lord! I shouldn't buy a used bike however i don't have enough to buy a newer used bike. Had to settle for a Yamaha xj650. I should know better but that's all I could afford and I can't tell you how much I wanted to ride again. The one mile that I did felt like I was in heaven. Now I have a big repair ahead of me and I won't get this bike running until next year. If I was 20 years younger, I would have pushed it home! I'm so disappointed in the brother and sister hood of bikers that I just might scrap the bike out and die without cleaning one of my bucket list items. I know all aren't bikers aren't bad however they might be in my neck of the woods ? Ride on all and be safe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That is not an enjoyable experience and sorry to hear that. I live in South Carolina, and I have pulled over just to use the phone and have people stop to see if I needed help. I dont live in the city, so maybe that makes a difference, as I would have been miles from anything, but there are good people out there. Even at that, it was maybe one in 15 people that checked on me.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have often been helped by strangers when stranded, and that's always nice. But just in case, I shell out $50 a year or so for a motor club membership. Call that toll-free number, they come, and one rescue more than pays the dues for a couple of years.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience.The only up side is, is the bike you have. If you get it running right you will have a great bike. Bikes that age usually take a lot of work to get them running right, but once you do they are definitely worth it. I would love to have a maxim in my garage.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Belated welcome to the forum! :D

Personally I've never experienced this in this state. If I so much stop so much to zip up my jacket, there will guaranteed be a rider stopping to ask me if I need help. Despite that, whenever I see other riders stopped I NEVER see others stop for them. I always stop to help broken down riders anyway I can. Most recently there was an early 2000s BMW dead on the side of the road, presumably due to a bad Hall sensor. Sadly I couldn't help him but he greatly appreciated that at least someone bothered to try.

As for your old bike, the good thing about them is that they are pretty simple. Once you find out what's wrong and fix it the bike should treat you well for a very long time.

Reactions: Porky

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
The last 3 times I've stopped to help someone, they were nearly hostile. Saying they had a cell phone and everything was under control. I wanted to tell them where to stick it but I just turned and left. It appears there is a different mentality with bikers now. I've gone back to only stopping if they have the helmet on the ground behind the rear wheel. These cell phones and the mentality that goes with them rather irk me at times. So the OP is caught between a rock and a hard spot brought on by the rude new bikers. That's my opinion anyway. And sorry if I was one the went zooming by. Learn the signal for distress then. I think I'm having a bad day. I sound rude too now. :sad:

Reactions: Porky

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,519 Posts
Like Larry said the signal that you need help is to place your helmet on the ground by the rear wheel.

Anyway welcome to the forum, hope you can get the bike home and fix it.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I stop more often than not. I have also run into "bikers" (loosely used) that acted half way pissed off that I stopped. I stopped once for a couple Harley riders out of Tulsa, Oklahoma. I was riding my Yamaha at the time. They were kind of surprised that I stopped, but they were also a bit dumbfounded that, according to them, at least two dozen Harley riders had gone by without stopping.

I was close to home and I carry some tools with me, standard and metric. Fortunately all they needed were some tools to get back on the road. I also have a small trailer. I have hauled several bikes to dealerships for repairs and once, a couple years ago, I hauled a young woman's bike to her house in Joplin, Missouri. Every time they ask "How much?" I tell them what ever they think is fair.

One young couple gave me $100 to haul their bike about 30 miles. I told him that was way too much. He insisted saying I had saved his vacation. I hauled another bike about the same distance to a young man's home for $5.

I've been broke down and stuck on the side of the road and had to depend on a strangers willingness to help me. Its just my time to help someone else when I can. I'm sorry you had such a hard time JK.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience with bikers on that day. I'm glad to hear you did get the bike home and hopefully you won't give up and you will get it fixed and be back living the freedom!

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
I wasn't aware that placing your helmet behind your bike was the signal for help. That's good to know.
So maybe you ought not condemn all bikers and learn that there is much more to this bike culture than just twisting the throttle. The older ones are still out there and will, if they possibly can, help. The younger, me me me group, still has some growing up to do. They too, one day, will finally stop being so selfish.

But we all have bad days. Some more than others. I think I'm having a bad week myself. I'm a little short tempered. Think maybe I better just shut my trap. Unlike what I said yesterday, as mad as some of these bikers make me when I stop and they are so darn rude, I'll still keep doing it. The ones that appreciate the effort are just worth it. Much more so than the rude ones. What goes around comes around. They will get just what they deserve some day(the rude ones).

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
The guy you don't help out, may be the one that won't help you out some time down the road. And some of the roughest looking "bikers" I've encountered were actually just normal, friendly guys with wives, kids, and jobs out enjoying what they like to do, ride motorcycles.

·
Visionary
5,269 Posts
I usually stop to help people or slow down and signal them to see if they are OK or not too and it's usually appreciated but I got that hostile reaction once too, I was very surprised.

I was eating breakfast in a diner, noticed a guy pull off the road across the street, look at his bike, etc, then just sit there on the curb looking at it. I finished my breakfast then walked over, wearing a bike jacket and carrying a helmet so there was no question I was a rider. I introduced myself and asked what was wrong, he said in a nasty tone, "I got a f$%^ing flat, I called already, I don't need any help" and turned away. I bit my tongue and walked away not saying a word....

I don't know if he was just a nasty guy in general, was angry about the flat and taking it out on me, or (my wife's theory) annoyed that a guy wearing a Victory jacket offered to help a guy with a Harley. His loss not mine, and he was in front of McDonald's and across the street from a diner on a nice spring day so he wasn't going to freeze or starve.

A few times that I stopped on the side of the road to do something people always either stopped or waved to me to see if I was OK so it seems to be the norm here still.

The last 3 times I've stopped to help someone, they were nearly hostile. Saying they had a cell phone and everything was under control. I wanted to tell them where to stick it but I just turned and left. It appears there is a different mentality with bikers now. I've gone back to only stopping if they have the helmet on the ground behind the rear wheel. These cell phones and the mentality that goes with them rather irk me at times. So the OP is caught between a rock and a hard spot brought on by the rude new bikers. That's my opinion anyway. And sorry if I was one the went zooming by. Learn the signal for distress then. I think I'm having a bad day. I sound rude too now. :sad:

·
Zip
2,521 Posts
Unlike what I said yesterday, as mad as some of these bikers make me when I stop and they are so darn rude, I'll still keep doing it. The ones that appreciate the effort are just worth it. Much more so than the rude ones. What goes around comes around. They will get just what they deserve some day(the rude ones).
I heard a saying a long time ago that I always remember in situations like this: be kind to that other guy, not because of the kind of person he is but because of the kind of person you are.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,519 Posts
Like that Roger

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
I heard a saying a long time ago that I always remember in situations like this: be kind to that other guy, not because of the kind of person he is but because of the kind of person you are.
I like that one!

I try to pull over and check on anyone along side the road,, especially riders, or if I'm on the scoot myself (a little good PR for motorcyclists is never a bad thing)

I was in the Jeep a few weeks back and came upon a guy along the side of the road kicking at his shifter pedal and revving the engine. I pulled a U-turn, asked if he needed any help and he cussed me out. I figured he was just frustrated and mad at the world, so I mentioned that I had tools in the Jeep and again offered a hand, asking if his shifter linkage was loose. "It's fine, What the F do y care?"
I gave up and turned around again to continue my trip. About 100 yards farther down the highway I saw what looked suspiciously like a drive belt lying along the white line of the opposite lane.
His shifter was working fine, he just had no final drive...Which kind of sums up his attitude when you think about it:wink2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for that! I really appreciate your comment. Now I've changed the fuse box which was a total mess and also the solenoid. I got the green light and only ticking out of the solenoid ? So, I took the starter off and could hardly turn it by hand so I took it apart and it was a mess! Part of the copper was in the case broken off and the brushes worn to a nub. No wonder it wouldn't start! Now I've been on line to find a starter and can't find one that I can afford. My yamaha xj650 maxim sits in the garage again so I"m in a big search for the starter. It's a 1982 so pretty old and called all the dealers around here but no luck. I have no more ideas where to look so I might have to go to a different city to find a shop. Biker friend of mine is looking also. Got any ideas for me where to look? I sure need some help here. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts