Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
SUZUKI GN 125
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm restoring a ZR50SLP 50cc bike (with a kickstarter) and would like to use a 12V battery instead of the 6V, will replace the currently installed 6V lightning with 12V LEDs, will need to replace the R/R too...
Anything I'm forgetting here?

will the wiring withstand the higher voltage or is there a risk for burning?

If there's a comparable electrical wiring system with all 12V components available, compatible with my model, could be useful too...

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
363 Posts
I'm not an electrician or anything but I assume the 6v harness and wiring should be fine with 12v. 6v has to carry more amps than 12v so switching to 12v would cut the load in half

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Hello,

I'm restoring a ZR50SLP 50cc bike (with a kickstarter) and would like to use a 12V battery instead of the 6V, will replace the currently installed 6V lightning with 12V LEDs, will need to replace the R/R too...
Anything I'm forgetting here?

will the wiring withstand the higher voltage or is there a risk for burning?

If there's a comparable electrical wiring system with all 12V components available, compatible with my model, could be useful too...

Thanks
Tom
Anything I'm forgetting here? Yes! Your alternator (lighting coil) is not capable of producing enough power.
You only have 2 tiny little coils in that bike, one for ignition and the second one for everything else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts