Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I'm a happy new owner of a VL 1500 Intruder from 1999. Now I'm wondering if it would be possible to upgrade to electronic fuel injection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Cheaper and easier to sell yours and buy a fuel injected bike than to retrofit FI. We are talking expensive, complex, time-consuming, and difficult to get right unless, say, the next year model of the SAME bike had FI and you had a "donor" parts bike.

for starters you'd need some sort of mass airflow meter or map sensor, retrofitting an ecm, installing an oxygen sensor in the exhaust manifold, coolant temperature sensor, blah blah blah.

Just get your carbs adjusted and working well and other than choking it on a cold morning, you'll never notice the difference.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
The VL1500 did indeed become the FI C90, but there is a lot to change. If this is just to see if you're skills are up to it, yes, it can be done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
See Megasquirt systems at DIYautotune.com. Cheap enough if you use Ebay or junkyard sensors and parts, but you can spend a lot (LOT!) of time trying to build a good tune from scratch. I took my Lotus from carbs to EFI, and the highway tune isn't bad, but the cold start & idle control takes forever to get right.

·
8,606 Posts
All of the stuff needed to convert to FI would cost more than the bike is worth.:(

The OP, a drive by poster is long gone.:confused:

Sam:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts