Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

just started riding this week... my 1971 honda cb350 feels wayyyyy too weak on the highway, but i dont have anything to compare it to, as i've never rode another bike on the highway.

i really like the look of the harley iron 883. (i dont care how many people tell me an 883 sportster is a girl bike... get real). in a few weeks, im going to rent one for a day and see how i like it... if im comfortable on it and with the power, etc. another bike i like is the triumph bonneville.

do you guys think that this is a bad move up size wise so early on in my riding? i dont care about going super fast, i just want to have enough power to get out of a situation... and i want the weight because the wind is blowing me around like crazy haha. its a little sketchy in such a populated area as the NYC metro area.

i just want something i can cruise around on and enjoy myself. also want to keep maintenance to a minimum. dont need to impress anyone, dont care what anyone thinks about the bike, i like it and i want to have fun.

thanks
tom

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
when you hear people talking about starting small (on 250's and 500's) saying things like a 600 is not a good beginners bike....they are usually talking about sport bikes.....when you talk about a cruiser, you can start on pretty much anything under a 1000cc (you can start on bigger, but that's a debate for another time) the main thing to watch out for with a cruiser isn't the engine size, kike on a sport bike, it's all about the weight of the bike....if you can handle the weight, then your fine to start on it....of course the larger you go, the harder it is to learn the slow speed stuff...but on an 883 you should be just fine.....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nothing wrong with a 883 I rode one for about year and half and it was a nice bike to ride, should be fine for back and forth to work and running around

·
Challenged Mechanic
2,771 Posts
Tom, we think alike. I have a CB350, too. Although I am sure I will ride it for quite a while, I do have my sights on a HD Sportster 883, and the Bonneville is quite apealing to me too.

I figure that my wife, Andrea, will want a ride of her own one of these days and the 350 will be nice for her (she's a lightweight).

One thing I like about the Sportster and the Bonneville is the placement of the foot controls. I have riden my brother's Vulkan, a typical low seated cruiser, and I don't like the controls way out in front. One thing I like about the CB350 is the foot controls are right under you and you are not sitting low behind the tank. There are not too many bikes built that way anymore. The Sportster is close (although I have seen them rigged with front controls) and more available, but the Triumph is very similar to the CB350 design. In fact this Saturday I sat on a 883 to make sure my new jacket (Vega Nitro-Mesh) would fit well in the riding position. :)

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
69 Posts
the 883 is only rated at 40hp. and I don't think power is as much of an issue as is riding style. a irresponsible riding could hurt himself faster on a 250 then responsible rider could hurt them self on a 1200. the 883 is a nice riding bike and interstate riding should be much easier.
I'm also tired of hearing that the 883 is a girls bike, I saw a chick riding a beautiful black V-rod the other day, I guess that means V-rods are girls bikes to..

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd also like to add that my buddy recently got his first bike, it's also the first motorcycle he has ever rode. and it's a 883 sportster. and you might not be worried about what other people think but I think they look pretty bad ass..

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a Sportster 883 Custom and I love it. It has plenty of power for what I need does 65 just fine and still seems to have more to spare. Not sure how much most of the riding I do is at 55 or so. I like enjoy the views along the trip so I don't feel the need for speed. ( okay I am getting old). It is my first bike and a great decision. The saleman talked me into the forward foot controls because it felt more comfortable to me. :71baldboy:

·
Underpaid
1,708 Posts
As far as moving up to that, I don't think it's a problem. An 883 v-twin on a cruiser is much different than a high rpm sport bike.

As far as it being called a girl's bike, back in 1971 an 883 would have been considered one of the larger bikes, so it's all relative.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
My step brother had an 883 and he seemed to like it a lot.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
hey all,

just started riding this week... my 1971 honda cb350 feels wayyyyy too weak on the highway, but i dont have anything to compare it to, as i've never rode another bike on the highway.

i really like the look of the harley iron 883. (i dont care how many people tell me an 883 sportster is a girl bike... get real). in a few weeks, im going to rent one for a day and see how i like it... if im comfortable on it and with the power, etc. another bike i like is the triumph bonneville.

do you guys think that this is a bad move up size wise so early on in my riding? i dont care about going super fast, i just want to have enough power to get out of a situation... and i want the weight because the wind is blowing me around like crazy haha. its a little sketchy in such a populated area as the NYC metro area.

i just want something i can cruise around on and enjoy myself. also want to keep maintenance to a minimum. dont need to impress anyone, dont care what anyone thinks about the bike, i like it and i want to have fun.

thanks
tom
That 883 Iron is cool. Nice choice. Lke the blackened old school look. So many ways you could go with that model or leave it stock too. I hope you go for it, you won't regret it.

·
Honk if you've never seen a gun fired from a bike
821 Posts
Hey red thunder, let me know if you want to get rid of that 350, i've been looking for one for a while and haven't quite found what I want just yet.

I have a Honda Nighthawk 750 that does quite well on the highway, if you aren't sure you want to shell out for a HD right now, you might want to look into one of those, as there's plenty around.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think you would be fine on a 883 with regard to power. The bike is a bit top heavy and if you are short that could take some getting use to. I nearly bought one but found a CB750F at a great price and couldn't argue with saving 6 or 7 grand. The 750 handles great on the highway or on the twisties. With the fairing it weighs about 600 lbs. It's a bit top heavy, too, but I am 6'3 and weigh 230 so it's not an issue for me. I am not a big fan of forward controls. I feel I have a lot more control on a bike with standard peg placement. I think they call this a UJM (universal japanese motorcycle). I had a CB350T many moons ago and it was a little light for highway use but I loved the feel of the bike.
Best of luck with whatever you choose:)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I think there is a good argument to be made that a larger bike is safer, even for a beginner. I feel the same way about sailboats, not that it's relevant. A smaller boat is more subject to wind shifts, weight shifts, waves, etc. A bigger bike lets you get out of the way easier.

Plus, Sportsters are really cool. If I had room, I'd find a vintage model from the '50's, a Bronson type bike. Something like this:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Girl bike ?!

hey all,

thanks
tom

The 883 is the most beautiful HD ever : simple, light...just a bike for purists !

Go and get it man !

PS : I'm no HD salesperson ;-)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I learned on my buddy's 883, and now own a Vulcan 800 so as long as you respect the bike and take it slow you'll be fine. -and this coming from a guy that's 5'6" 140-150. With my size and weight I had no problem on the 883 and especially not on the vulcan either, although I must say after he installed his cobra seat which raised the height a couple inches I didn't ride it because it was getting to where I couldn't stand flat footed on the bike.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I started on a cl350 about 6 mo ago. Two months ago I bought a 1200 sportster, and can't get enough of it, I absolutely love it. The power is very smooth, no surprises. It is a little heavy but very well balanced, and I'm not a big guy, 5'8" 170, and I can handle it just fine. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I would strongly suggest getting a 1200. I have known a number of people who got a 883 and it became old quick. They up to a 1200 or 1500 and were a lot happier.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts