Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
22,480 Posts
But I wonder how good the batteries remain after sitting for 19 months.
Well hopefully it will last long enough to find out and not die after a few miles. (y)

·
Registered
Can-Am Ryker 600, Ayro 311 Electric Reverse Trike
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well hopefully it will last long enough to find out and not die after a few miles. (y)
Indeed! My ultimate goal is to switch to a single lithium battery, dramatically lose vehicle weight, increase range significantly, increase battery life from 3-4 years to 7-10 years, and save money to boot, vs. lead-acid batteries. If only I could increase top speed too.

·
8,037 Posts
Ride the RYKER instead! They are Soooooooo Cutie pie. 😁
Sam:cool:

·
American Legion Rider
22,480 Posts
Apples to oranges Porky. The Ryker isn’t electric. Need an electrical engineer type to get better performance out of the Ayro I think. I don’t think there is anything similar to what he has now that is electric.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Not sure if you know, I already have a Ryker! It is kept in the shed at our RV and lot in Lake Placid, FL (about and hour & 25 minutes away), and I use it when we are there regularly. The Ayro 311 is at our house in Ft. Pierce, FL.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I don’t think there is anything similar to what he has now that is electric.
Indeed this is true! The dealer where I got the 311 has a massive number of different models of cool golf cars, and when I went down there one time a couple months ago, I would have traded the broken 311 for one of them, if one went 50 MPH like the Ayro. But every single one of them are LSEVs (Low Speed Electric Vehicle), which by law are limited to 25 MPH.

·
8,037 Posts
I knew you had the Ryker as it says so right under your 'picture.'

I also know that the Ryker is gas powered as I have sat on them and looked into maybe buying one sometime in the future, just to try it out and see if maybe I'd like its big brother, the Spyder.

I sincerely hope that this new replacement works out for you!

Sam:)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,455 Posts
Can you get to Lake Placid on the Ayro fro Ft. Pierce?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Can you get to Lake Placid on the Ayro fro Ft. Pierce?
Not with 50 mile range. It is about 73 miles. Plus I don't want to go 50 MPH on a 60 MPH 2 lane highway! (even though there is very little traffic). Maybe if I increase range and performance switching to lithium battery.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Weird! Even though they haven't produced any for a while, they still have the 311 shown on their website: https://ayro.com/ayro-311

·
Visionary
4,083 Posts
Not with 50 mile range. It is about 73 miles. Plus I don't want to go 50 MPH on a 60 MPH 2 lane highway! (even though there is very little traffic). Maybe if I increase range and performance switching to lithium battery.
With the weight and size difference of litium to lead acid you could probably carry 2 or 3 spare charged litium batteries and switch between them, giving you 150-200 mile range, and still be lighter.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
With the weight and size difference of litium to lead acid you could probably carry 2 or 3 spare charged litium batteries and switch between them, giving you 150-200 mile range, and still be lighter.
It has plenty of room for batteries; 3 lead-acid are under driver's seat, and 3 under passenger seat.

My golf cart went from 390 pounds (6 - 65 pounds each) of battery weight to one 36 pound lithium (48 volts).

·
Visionary
4,083 Posts
It has plenty of room for batteries; 3 lead-acid are under driver's seat, and 3 under passenger seat.

My golf cart went from 390 pounds (6 - 65 pounds each) of battery weight to one 36 pound lithium (48 volts).
Perfect. So replace all those batteries with litium and switch between them as they are exhausted. You could really go a long way then.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,870 Posts

I realize you're talking about your golf cart here, but if the 50mph electric doo hickey were to have that drastic of a weight change, I'd be concerned about how it's stability changed.

I raced Raz'r with a once, first time driving it. Progressively got faster as I got used to it's handling.

Someone wanted a ride, hoped in and away we went. Rolled it immediately on hair pin turn (extra weight no longer allowed rear to slide, it stuck).

I wonder how wind would affect it by removing a couple hundred pounds.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

I realize you're talking about your golf cart here, but if the 50mph electric doo hickey were to have that drastic of a weight change, I'd be concerned about how it's stability changed.

I raced Raz'r with a once, first time driving it. Progressively got faster as I got used to it's handling.

Someone wanted a ride, hoped in and away we went. Rolled it immediately on hair pin turn (extra weight no longer allowed rear to slide, it stuck).

I wonder how wind would affect it by removing a couple hundred pounds.
I get what you mean, but I'm actually over 300 lbs, so I should be OK. Plus Ayro claims it is a very stable vehicle. This is my 1st reverse trike that is front wheel drive; my Slingshot and Piaggio MP3 500 were and my Ryker is rear wheel drive.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Perfect. So replace all those batteries with litium and switch between them as they are exhausted. You could really go a long way then.
Why not just wire them in parallel for no switching needed?

·
Visionary
4,083 Posts
Why not just wire them in parallel for no switching needed?
Wiring parallell packs can get tricky with them staying in synch and what can happen if a cell fails, I'd be leery of that especially with Lithium batteries which can be a bit unstable.
To keep it easy I'd just whip up a system with some power relays and switch them from a little selector switch on the dash.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Wiring parallell packs can get tricky with them staying in synch and what can happen if a cell fails, I'd be leery of that especially with Lithium batteries which can be a bit unstable.
To keep it easy I'd just whip up a system with some power relays and switch them from a little selector switch on the dash.
But Tesla uses a whole bunch of little 3.7V lithium cells in parallel and series.

·
American Legion Rider
22,480 Posts
Why not put a few solar panels on top and charge as you fly?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Why not put a few solar panels on top and charge as you fly?
It is mostly in the garage; just a few minutes outside. No way to keep batteries charged, as not enough surface area.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts