Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm calling from Maine, can you hear me.....OK good. I work on a boat. Lobster boat sternman for 4 months a year and I'm on my downtime. I do a little clamming and some cutting in the woods but I got all sorts of time to work on my 85 Yamaha FJ1100. I painted it last year and then again this year. Shes a good old girl with only 26k. The mid range torque is incredible. My wife calls it "the princess" :) I'll call again!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,494 Posts
Hello Joe, great area you are in, I used to be stationed in Brunswick in the late 60's

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reception. I need 8 more post after this one to post a picture so I'll address each one and I'll almost have it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Critter, It is nice here. Plenty of scenery to go around. Lots of tourist and in the summer we also get a few tall ships come and park in the harbor. I actually live at the southern tip of Deer Isle which is Stonington.
Brunswick, even though they have closed the base, that place is bustling now. Very busy area.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hawk..
My FJ is an extremely good bike. Back in the mid 80's I drove Suzuki 1100's. One year I had a hard time finding work, my car broke down and I had to drive the bike every day all winter to a new job. That took all the fun out of driving for me. Sold the bike and haven't had one since, up to last year. Now I just ride on the perfect days. I don't drive like I use to. I guess it scares me a little. I pull the throttle back and every milli-second gets crazy. I hit 4k on the tach. and it feels like I'm taking off in the Shuttle. I was surprised that I put 1400 miles on it last summer, just driving on the island.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unkle crusty
One time I met a guy with a xs1100 and we went for a ride. The first car we came up on, he popped his front end up and set it on the cars trunk at 40 mph, looked at me and smiled. Was that you Micheal?
Only kidding... Shes got 125 hp I guess. It might. I have felt the clutch slip. I need to take care of that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MONI..Funny you mention me liking the paint better. I'll post a pic of the last paint later. I loved it. All the plastic and the tank was fire horn red pearl and all the aluminum was sanded to 600# and painted with metalcast red anodize look. Most people hated it but to me it looked great. Only 4 months of sun light on it faded the metalcast to an orange/ yellow blotchy color that I could not stand. Just last Nov. I took the bike apart and stripped all the metalcast off. The alum. was all ready to polish and I repainted the body with krylon banner red and clear coated. You'll see.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
old man47, I enjoy working on the bike more than driving it. If I had the money, I probably make a showbike. That ain't gonna happen.
I got a small wood stove in my little shop and a radio playing country hits. It's a great was for me to pass the time. Thank you.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Having lived in Maine (well above Caribou) and having spent some time living in Rockland (down by the tourists), I can sympathize with your current location!! (lol).

-Soupy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
soupy, The tourist fill right in. Rockland is across the penobscot bay from here. It doesn't get that congested but it's a close second. We get a lot of people standing in the road taking pictures. In the summer, it's hard to get around cause they drive 30 in a 50. On the bike though, there is no traffic:icon_cool:

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Not me

Unkle crusty
One time I met a guy with a xs1100 and we went for a ride. The first car we came up on, he popped his front end up and set it on the cars trunk at 40 mph, looked at me and smiled. Was that you Micheal?
Only kidding... Shes got 125 hp I guess. It might. I have felt the clutch slip. I need to take care of that.
I am way out on the left coast. Your FJ1100 has 30 more horsepower than my XS11. And it weighs 50 pounds less. Your bike is a good match for many of the newer sport bikes, and even scare my newer SV1000.

I would really like to have an 85 FJ1100. Will keep a watch for one.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well Here she is, my little princess.

I took these pics down by the shore a couple of days ago.

This is what last years paint looked like.

:)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,494 Posts
You were right, the new paint job is better. Do you get the 30' tides there. We used to get them where I lived on Quohog (sp) bay.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Critter, you got me stumpt. Are you talking about quahog bay in Harpswell, Me. Down by Brunswick? Our tides here average 10'. On an astronomical tide they might go 14'. Eastport, Me. get a 28 foot average tide but there up further into the Gulf of Maine. Canadian Bay of Fundy.
Is this a test?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts